Stupid tools !

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks guy - misses was askng me for my Christmas list - thanks to this thread its sorted now :D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Anything that commonly gets described as useful for killing Zombies.

Stanley Fubar being a prime example where its far and away less use than a normal hammer and small nail bar.

images

I don't know anyone I dislike enough to give them one of those things to use.

I've almost bought one of these in the past. I picked one up in a DIY shop, and thought it felt OK, and would probably be useful for shed building and roofing. Just heavy enough a hammer for nails and a nail puller for those that don;t go in straight.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've almost bought one of these in the past. I picked one up in a DIY shop, and thought it felt OK, and would probably be useful for shed building and roofing. Just heavy enough a hammer for nails and a nail puller for those that don;t go in straight.

Decent framing hammer with the straighter ripclaws (as opposed to the more usual curved claws) and a little nail bar are far and away more use.
Estwing E324S (the 24 refers to the weight of the head in ounces and the S to the straight claws) is a decent framing hammer.
21Fazj68ddL.jpg

I also have a smaller 20 ounce leather washer grip finishing hammer for when I'm doind loads of second fix jobs, its not as industrial as the framer but its also about three inches shorter. Fairly sure I could manage with either one on its own but hell I was on a roll.

For years I thought the short nail bars couldn't be much use because they were so short, till I worked at a place doing lots of timber framing and everyone there had one pretty much like THIS. I borrowed one to remove the nails from a frame panel we made wrong and bought one as soon as I could.
Its only 300mm long but everything on it has been thought out to maximise its leverage, its handy for hammering in under nail heads and pulling them out but small enough that I carry it on my tool belt everyday.
Then if you still need a long crowbar something shaped like THIS is handy as its light enough to have with you a lot, you can hit it on the curved end to drive either point into something you want to rip apart without it vibrating like a gong in your hand.

I sometimes do concrete shuttering as well as timber framing right through to second fix house/pub finishing and consequently am quite fussy with my tools, they have to work well over a wide range of situations and personally I wouldn't have one of those heavy, numb Stanley Fubars given. I don't have space in my van for tat.

Those "Zombie" tools are the stuff that apprentices buy then keep in the bottom of their toolbox for ballast when the roads are icy and the van needs some weight in the back...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE