Strops - what do you reckon?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just finished making a couple of strops - one for me and one for my knife-making mate. I used "scrap" leather off the ends of a couple of belts that I made (I'll post these once I've taken the pics) and some oak I had lying around after I made SWMBO a coffee table. The hangy uppy bits are 2mm round thong.

stropswl5.jpg

The leather bits are about 8" long - the same as my sharpening stones. (I've used the black one - hence the marks!)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Eric_Methven said
How about sticking a second bit of leather on the other side then you could use one with stropping paste and the other just plain leather.

Good idea.
:banghead:
Doh! Why didn't I think of that!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
mick miller wrote:
Did you use epoxy to glue the strop to the board Kerne?

I used Evostick impact adhesive - the same as I use to stick the bits of leather together prior to stitching. I waxed the timber with Briwax AFTER glueing the leather down. (Otherwise it would form a barrier to the impact adhesive.)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks for that, I'm currently using an old belt to strop my knives, but I like the professional barber's shop appearance of these.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
That's what I'm finding too, hence the interest in making one for myself... possibly more down to technique as others don't seem to have the same problems.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
gloomhound wrote:
May seem a silly question but. What is the purpose behind a strop?

Stropping a blade after sharpening removes the "wire" edge that comes from sharpening on the stone and, thus, makes the blade sharper - though, interestingly, it can feel less sharp after sharpening as the wire edge can give a false impression of sharpness.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I do something very simliar but less pretty, I've done it on MDF with 3000 grit micromesh on one side and leather on the other for my scandi's - they work a treat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very neat indeed :D

Warthog1981 made one for me and one for Trishbo, and taught us how to use them too; the difference in our knives is really remarkable, they are just really good bits of kit.:approve:

cheers,
Toddy

gloomhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2008
Charleston
Stropping a blade after sharpening removes the "wire" edge that comes from sharpening on the stone and, thus, makes the blade sharper - though, interestingly, it can feel less sharp after sharpening as the wire edge can give a false impression of sharpness.

Oh I just work in over. Learn something new every day, thanks!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
If you want to go native with stropping -- razor strop fungus cut thinly and stuck to a board is also good BIRCH POLIPORE correct me if Im wrong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE