Strawberry tree.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
The fruit are edible but i personally didn't like them when i first tried them - but last year when i had some i quiet enjoyed the taste - wouldnt want to eat lots of them in one session though.

Make sure they are very soft and deep red in colour when you pick them.

I believe the portuguese drink medronheira is made from a fruit that is very very similar if not the same tree too.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Any chance of a photo ? I found a tree with strange red fruit/flowers on it the other day - Still haven't got around to identifying it.
Cheers
Rich

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
the unedo part of its name is supposed to mean, "you will eat only one" a comment on the flavour of the fruit

they are not toxic or totally unedible just not very more ish

Tant

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Arbutus fruit are the main constituent in the Portuguese firewater/ eau de vie called Medronho. Cheap and wicked stuff and nearly always illegally distilled in the Sierra de Monchique above the Algarve :) They also make a sweeter liquor version. Like this photo:

031101_134825_1.jpg

source: http://www.manbos.com/verfoto.asp?idfoto=2793&codsql=1

Recipe and more details:
It is an evergreen shrub or small tree of 1-5 metres with dark red fruit of 25 mmm diameter and which weigh between 4-8 grams. It is distributed mainly in the Eastern Mediterranean area, but also occurs as a survivor of the Ice Age in Southern Ireland. The mature fruit contains over 15% sugar and 0.66% malic acid, and because of its high sugar content, the fruit is used to make marmelade and is fermented to make wine which is also distilled to make a clear eau-de-vie. The fruit is also macerated in grappa/orujo to make a liqueur. 'Aguardente de Medronho' or simply 'Medronho' is a spirit unique to the Portuguese Algarve province, where it generally is a product of home distillation and is sold "unofficially". A Portuguese site says that it is produced by fermenting 5 parts of fruit with 1 part water for over 2 weeks and then distilling to a strength of 50%abv. See: http://www.gastronomias.com/bar-bebidas/frutos.htm. The Portuguese 'Brandymel' also from Algarve, is made with medronho sweetened with honey. On the French island of Corsica they make a 'Liqueur a l'Arbouse' and a sweeter 'Creme d'Arbouse'. On the Italian island of Sardinia they make an 'Acquavita di Corbezzolo' similar to the Portuguese 'Aguardente de Medronho', and also a 30%abv liqueur, 'Liquore di Corbezzolo (di Sardegna)' while another distillery makes a 24%abv liqueur called 'Fior di Corbezzolo'. I also came across a Spanish recipe for a 'Licor de Madrono' which looks rather sweet -

Madrono Liqueur (Strawberry Tree fruit liqueur)
1 kg strawberry tree fruit
1 litre alcohol (50%bv)
250 ml water
0.5 kg to 1 kg sugar
Wash fruit and place in large glass jar. Dissolve sugar in hot water to make a sugar syrup. Pour alcohol and cold sugar syrup over fruit in jar. Leave to macerate for 6 months. Filter and bottle.
source: http://homedistiller.org/liqueurs.htm

I have found that the flavour of the fruit varies quite a lot from tasteless as Tant noted to very juicy and delicious. I would guess this is down to more thorough ripening in more southern climes and also the naturally occurring variation in fruit.

If you can't eat it, ferment it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE