Strawberry Crawlies - a few pics - what are they and what to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks, back to the homesteading again.

I just went out to water my strawberries and found the first runner (my first free plant! I'm happy about that) and also the first berry touching soil, so I laid down some cut plastic to keep the fruit from rotting before I eat it.

While doing that I found a few newcomers to that part of the garden, one of which is a small gang of marauding aphids (there's nothing like overstating things like that) and a couple more that I can't identify.

Aphids:
StrawberryAphids2.jpg

and
StrawberryAphids1.jpg

Next I saw a small cluster of red crawlies I can't identify.
At first I thought Red Spider Mite but having looked at some pictures of them online (the joy of google image search) I'm not so sure. These look more elongated than the spider mites I've seen in pictures.
They are small, the largest ones look about the same size as the longer hairs on the stems of the plant which aren't exactly huge.
Red bodies and translucent legs.
RedStrawberryGuests.jpg

and
RedStrawberryGuests2.jpg

I'm afraid I coudn't get a clearer shot than those, but not bad for a compact camera.

Finally is this fella.
BlackStrawberryGuest.jpg

I think I might have identified it, but I'll keep that to myself just in case someone comes up with a better suggestion. I don't want to steer your thoughts on it y'see.

There was one more too, but by the time I'd found my camera the few that were on the plant (the runner actually) had done a vanishing act and I couldn't find them to take a picture, I will if I see them again though.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
The ugly chap could be a type of shield bug (friendly).One of your aphid pictures could actually be of young bush crickets,but I'm not 100% sure.The red chaps could well be empty skins,or aphids which have been parasitised.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
looks like standard greenfly nymph to me, get the soapy dishwater on them.. " they don't like it up 'em Captain Manwearing"
Or feed the little blighters to the fish... takes a lot of time though. As a natural control you can buy a box of ladybirds though or but a ladybird box in to encourage them, They love eating those little juicey bags of sap eating baddies.
Goatboy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE