Strange Morning...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Spent half an hour giving CPR to a dying man this morning. It was on the towpath so medics took 30 mins to arrive.
He was just about still alive when they took him away, but police just called me to say he died in hospital. Oh well, he wasn't young and he went very quickly and painlessly on a beautiful sunny morning riding his bike.
Time to take another first aid course (only done a very basic one, and that was 6 years ago).

Enjoy life while you can!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As the man said; blimey.

You all did what you could to try and save a life; hopefully that is something to relect on later and take pride in.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Well done for trying mate.

It may not help much but in that sort of situation the chances of survival are pretty low. IIRC if you haven't got medical support and gear the survival rate is as low as 2%.

There was probably little you could have done but at least you give the feller a fighting chance.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Well done for trying, that's the best thing you could have done. Sorry to hear he didn't make it...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done for trying.
From personal experience - you will find it takes time to get your head around this!
The first guy I tried to help with CPR was declared dead by the hospital on arrival, the second lasted a week in hospital before dying.
You will come to get over it all but it is a very strange experience....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You tried, and at least you were able to try.

My mother died (it was 20 years ago last weekend) like that. She was out walking and collapsed.

a couple of boys found her but even if they had known what to do, I doubt it would have helped.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sadly mate, most of the time all CPR does is keep them going till a Defib arrives. You did all you could, but under the circumstances even a doctor would have been unlikely to save him with a 30 minute wait.

Good job though - always worth doing what you can

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
You did well. Giving hope can make the difference. He knew someone was helping him. It always reduces pain and fear and gives comfort. You could not do more.
His thanks are you might enjoy life more. As British Red said, it's worth continuing until experts arrive. Norwegians know that if someone drowns in cold water, to keep giving CPR. People have revived 12 and 18 hours later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE