Strange coincidence on a walk in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Last Thursday evening I met up with a chap from BB called Paul for a walk on the National Trust's Ashridge Estate. Paul contacted me several weeks back since he too lives in Hemel Hempstead, and it seems that unlike the extremities of Wales, bushcrafting knife nuts are fairly rare here.

The weather forecast for last night made it sound like we would be dodging torrential downpours all evening but it turned out to be a lovely evening with clear skies and a cool and gentle breeze blowing. It was particularly pleasant since the weather had convinced all the normal folks to stay in; the football could have helped too :wink:

We were walking in an area of forest that I hadn't bothered with before, but Paul clearly goes there a lot. I say clearly because other than knowing where he was going some of the fallen trees showed the obvious signs of bushcraft spoon harvesting and Gransfors testing!!

I had hoped to have a go at making fire with the bow drill but we sort of got side tracked. My pack contained a mixed selection of stuff, bug dope, rain gear, water, cord, friction fire kit, tinder, mini-axe, saw and a knife. Paul had a much more impressive load and I wish that I had had my camera with me to record it! In his game bag he was packing a folding bowsaw, a Rosseli axe, a mini GB, a Falkniven A1, an Allan Wood Bushcraft knife, a Wolverine, a Rosseli puuko, plus two more puuko whose make I can't recall!! Paul is a knife nut first and a bushcrafter second, so it is somewhat more forgivable.

We spent a while testing some of his collection and discussing pros and cons of the different designs, then carried on with our wander.

I wanted to have a go at making withies since Paul hadn't tried making them before and I can certainly do with a bit of practice, so we set off for a place that Paul said had hazel growing. It was pretty late by this time, probably about 9:00pm and it was getting dark under the trees as we plunged into the edge of the woods. The ground sloped fairly steeply through the wood to an uncut pasture below. The area just had the sort of feel that you associate with places that badgers build setts so I started chatting about my recent attempts to see badgers at a sett on the far side of the estate.
Paul told me that he had never seen a live badger, which surprised me given the time he has spent outdoors. Admittedly I haven't seen all that many badgers myself, fewer than ten spread over the last decade.

I was in the midst of telling Paul about a nature reserve in Somerset where a viewing area has been built to let people watch a sett of, what are now very unconcerned, badgers, when something caught my eye 20 yards off the trail....I couldn't believe it, but there was a bloomin’ badger scuffling about as if we didn't exist!!! :shock: It really could not have cared less!

Despite our far from quiet approach, and the noise of my collecting tinder when it temporarily disappeared behind a log, the badger stayed in view for about 10 minutes before trundling off.

Talk about freakish coincidences! I am almost sorry; I am sure that Paul
would have enjoyed his first badger more if there had been more suspense involved! I am sure that it would have been a much more satisfying experience if we had had to sit numbing our bums for a couple of hours first!

The rest of the walk was pretty uneventful. We never did find the hazel and
it was gone 10:00 before we got back to the car.

All in all we had a great time. I have been going for walks alone for so long that it is a real novelty to have company :-D

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Chris, sounds like a great outting, especially getting to see the Badger. Did Paul have any gear to help him through the night if something happened and leaving the woods were not possible for any reason? Did he have a blade on his person or were they all in his bag?

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Great story, Chris! I've seen badgers on the road before (from the car) but it must have been fabulous to see one close up! :super: :ekt:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, I know that Paul had a Buck folder in one pocket of his multi pocket fishing/photography vest. I am sure that he was carrying more, though they may all have been folders. As to other gear, nope, no overnight stuff. There was probably a first aid kit, but I was so busy looking at the knife collection that I didn't notice (I knew where mine was anyhow :wink: )

Kath, from the experience that I have had, badgers aren't all THAT hard to find, you just have to put in some time. The hitch is that the time in question tends to be at an inconvenient point in the day :) I beleive that the reason that I haven't seen more badgers is that I haven't really tried to see them. I am usually stomping homeward when they might start to come out. I am sure that Adi can show you some if you bend his ear enough :lol: My mum was with me for the second badger I saw, we were stood out well after dark with a large torch and were alerted to a badger's arrival by the sound of it scratching its itchy nether regions! :shock: :roll: :rolmao:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Perhaps we'll spot one with the night vision later - haven't a clue where to go though! (BTW I saw the sky through the night vision scope last night, it was AMAZING! I've never seen so many stars! It looked how space looks in photos!)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Kath said:
I've never seen so many stars! It looked how space looks in photos!

Ummmm, it IS space! :rolmao: :eek:): :mrgreen:

;)

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
C_Claycomb said:
The area just had the sort of feel that you associate with places that badgers build setts so I started chatting about my recent attempts to see badgers at a sett on the far side of the estate.
Paul told me that he had never seen a live badger, which surprised me given the time he has spent outdoors. Admittedly I haven't seen all that many badgers myself, fewer than ten spread over the last decade.

I was in the midst of telling Paul about a nature reserve in Somerset where a viewing area has been built to let people watch a sett of, what are now very unconcerned, badgers, when something caught my eye 20 yards off the trail....I couldn't believe it, but there was a bloomin’ badger scuffling about as if we didn't exist!!! :shock: It really could not have cared less!

Despite our far from quiet approach, and the noise of my collecting tinder when it temporarily disappeared behind a log, the badger stayed in view for about 10 minutes before trundling off.

Do you remember the name of the nature reserve? I live in Somerset and we get Badgers on our lawn almost everynight which we watch, lit by the security light which they do not notice or care about. This way we can watch from about 2 metres away. My mother does volenteer work at 'Secret World' animal sanctuary. There is a set there which you can watch through perspex windows very close up. I don't know if this is what you mean?

Sounds like you had a great time.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Sounds like you had a great time chris.... and a great shame you didn't have you camera with you.... you should know better by now, it always happens like that ;-)

Ed

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It was Secret World that I was thinking of. I was there about 5 years ago, no perspex that I could see, the sett was in the side of a big ditch/dry watercourse or something. They had a bench and platform built on the other side of the ditch for people to sit at. I was at this site in the evening, all the buildings where shut up and I couldn't have said what went on there, maybe I over estimated the size of the site but I thought it owned surrounding fields and woods :confused: :-?

I think I would draw the line at watching through perspex, that is a little too much like a zoo. I would be happier further away, but with fewer contrivances.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
It is quite a big site and the perspex is only part of how you can view the badgers. These are ones that have been rescued, mostly as orphans and are in sort of captivity. Some of them become tame and Pauline Kidner, the owner, adopts them almost as dogs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE