Strange Bird in the woods (no not that kind)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Seen this bird in the woods in Cumbernauld today any help in identification would be greatly appreciated.

Iain

img0072copy4ce.jpg
[/IMG]

img0069copy6lb.jpg
[/IMG]

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
First impression is of a pheasant of some type.. or maybe one of those fancy fowl. Certainly not a native bird nor an introduced/feral species... someone somewhere has lost this one...

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
That’s what I was thinking, didn’t fly away when approached just run down the hill into the woods.

Iain

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It wasn't near the country park was it? The one with the wolves and arctic foxes? They had some strange fowl when my sons were little.

Cheers,
Toddy

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
About 2 miles north of Palacerigg Country Park. The wolves aren’t there anymore think they dead a few years ago.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Thanks for your help Galemys looks like you were correct in the identification.

Sent a email to the place where I buy my bird guide DVD-Roms from and got this reply.

Hi Iain

The bird does look like a Kalij Pheasant, a common inhabitant of the Himalyas, though the apparent extensive white on the back might point to some sort of hybrid, perhaps with Silver Pheasant, such birds can sometimes be very difficult to tell.

A fine specimen though!

I suspect that species such as Kalij (and Silver Pheasant, plus other pheasant species) are quite common in captivity as they are quite spectacular birds. It is difficult to be certain of the 'purity' of the bird in your photo, hence my mention of the hybrid possibility, and sometimes in can be difficult to ascertain without very close inspection :)

Feel free to use the comments elsewhere and a call to the country park would perhaps result in the origin of the bird coming to light.

Best wishes
Russell. BirdGuides

Thanks for your help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE