Stove Kettle ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Im looking for a stove top kettle and could use some advice. Im after a kettle about the same size as a normal domestic kettle as far as capacity is concerned, but that can be used on a gas hob, electric ring and an open fire when the chance allows.
I'd prefer somthing older, maybe cast iron or copper. While weight is not an issue as such, as it will be a home item, I will be adding it to a motor home camp cooking setup at some stage and I'll need to keep the weight manageable then.

So, stick it on the electric cooker, or on the camping cooker when the electricity goes out or on a fire if it all goes out. Light enough to carry full, no nasty stuff leaching out tainting the water and aesthetically pleasing. :)

Whats out there new or old?

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I probably shoud have put this in the Homestead section :doh.

One thing I forgot to say was, I am weighing the advantages of materials as well. Cast, verses stainless, copper, enamel and aluminum. Stainless makes the most sense i suppose, but ive seen a nice la creuset emamal one that looks nice, and an aluminum kettle from one of the bushcraft sites got some ok review's on youtube.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
gsi-outdoors-glacier-stainless-steel-conical-coffee-percolator-65036_1024x1024.jpg

ori_338-34256-935861-Antique-Copper-Tea-Kettle-picture1.jpg

I use either a huge GSI Glacier Steel coffee peculator which is quite pricey but will last forever or my old copper kettle which I picked up in a junk shop (mine was under £10 but they're usually about £30). Use on the hob at home, on a camping stove, on the fire or on top of my frontier woodburner.

Great for camps, powercuts and everyday life. Well you have to have a brew!

Hope this helps.

GB.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Copper needs tinning inside - and if this goes through, verdigris and even toxic material can be a problem

Cast iron needs seasoning and can shatter if dropped

Kettle by British Red, on Flickr

Stainless (no plastic) works on everything and needs little or no maintenance

kettle by British Red, on Flickr

Kettle by British Red, on Flickr

Aluminium is okay but does dent and scratch and is harder to clean after open flame use.

Enamelled metal is fine - until it chips.

I have used them all. I will stick to iron for the range and stainless steel for hard use. I have a very large 3L aluminium one which is useful for cooking and washing up.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE