Stove Alcohol Bottle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Fairly sure meths knackers uncoated aluminium bottles after prolonged use. It strips the oxide coating off and just keeps corroding them.
Plus plastic bottle last well, never has a problem with the placky bottles that it comes in personally. I've had one bottle for years now, its light, see through so I know how much is in it easy and err cheap.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If I'm out for any length of time. amd using a trangia, I use the Trangia fuel bottle.
If I'm just out for the day, with a crusader/penny stove, I use a bottle from travel contact lens solution.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Trangia fuel bottle for larger volumes. Old stainless steel hip flask (suitably marked) for smaller quantities. Miniature spirits bottle are good for small amounts for a quick brew too.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I was lucky enough to get a couple of those plastic flip top bottles our sprayer used for keeping small amounts of paint in . If use can use paint in them then meths is okay.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
After I had Meths leak all over my kit while the rucksack was in the boot of the car, I bought a trang isa bottle. They are excellent but do defeat the purpose of a "penny" stove as the cost many pennies!

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
After I had Meths leak all over my kit while the rucksack was in the boot of the car, I bought a trang isa bottle. They are excellent but do defeat the purpose of a "penny" stove as the cost many pennies!

Better than your pack catching merry light when you walk past somebody having a smoke, though.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
The aluminum beer bottles would make a more solid version of a coke can/ hobo stove. And with out constant fuel contact the corrosion issue wouldn't be a problem.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Cheers for the responses, some great feedback. The Trianga looks good. A tad expensive but it looks like it's a tough bit of kit. I have a small meths bottle which was my plan to use and refil as needed, the thing that put me off and prompted this thread is that the bottle says in big letters "do not refill". I have a pal that's a landscaper so i will ask him about a 2 stroke bottle and see what sizes he has. I think the beer bottles would be a good idea for a stove project. Dave89 do you have any pic of the Lynx can stove you made? I'm intrigued.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Cheers for the responses, some great feedback. The Trianga looks good. A tad expensive but it looks like it's a tough bit of kit.

It's a genuinely excellent design, tough as old boots and will last a lifetime. The valve screws down to make a total seal.

One of the few things you can look at and say, "this could not be improved".

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's a genuinely excellent design, tough as old boots and will last a lifetime. The valve screws down to make a total seal.

One of the few things you can look at and say, "this could not be improved".

A useful attachment for the Trangia fuel bottles is a short (say 100mm) length of plastic tubing which will push fit onto one of the spouts. It makes directing the flow a bit easier for priming lanterns and stoves.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Ive not got a picture of mine as its at home but its simlar to this one except were theres a hole at the top of this one i have a nut and bolt.

hqdefault.jpg

Cheers for the responses, some great feedback. The Trianga looks good. A tad expensive but it looks like it's a tough bit of kit. I have a small meths bottle which was my plan to use and refil as needed, the thing that put me off and prompted this thread is that the bottle says in big letters "do not refill". I have a pal that's a landscaper so i will ask him about a 2 stroke bottle and see what sizes he has. I think the beer bottles would be a good idea for a stove project. Dave89 do you have any pic of the Lynx can stove you made? I'm intrigued.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE