stove advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
anybody got any advice or experiance on a good small lightweight woodburning stove design or hobo stove that burns well and dosnt produce much smoke, i have a woodlands edge firebox that is great but to heavy and fiddly for a quick brew when just out for a hour.
thanks ash

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Bush Buddy. Very small and lightweight, burns hotter than regular wood burners and it doesn't produce any smoke once it gets going.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
take a small meths stove ..........and a small fuel bottle to save searching round for fuel .........complete set up would weigh less than 500gms.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thanks every1,
i do like the sound of the bushbuddy mainly because it dosnt produce much smoke which is very important.
could somebody explain woodgas to me? iv got an idea but not sure cheers ash

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here's a vid with everything you need to know. The Bushcooker is the same as the Buddy, but produced in Europe.

[video=youtube;qBWLlgJD2Ec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWLlgJD2Ec[/video]

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
swiss volcano is my stove of choice atm, i tend to use hexamine or those bbq lighters in it for less smoke but you can still use sticks when the situation arises and it comes with a water bottle all for a tenner.... if i had come across it sooner it may have prevented me owning 10 stoves now :-D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Bushbuddy or Bushcooker, I bided my time and eventually picked one up on here and I'm glad I did. The secondary burn makes all the difference once it's burning away, very little smoke.

The Honey stove and other DIY woodburners are also handy, paired up with a simple meths burner and you have a pretty sneaky setup.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Can't beat using a homemade Hobo or similar in my mind. Its satisfying when you know you made it to suit you. Mine is probably my most used piece of kit. Am now designing my own fold flat honey stove type design for lightweight camping.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I love my hobo stove. Ilike he look of the bush buddy, but it looks really unstable with the pot balanced on top like that!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love my hobo stove. Ilike he look of the bush buddy, but it looks really unstable with the pot balanced on top like that!

It's not unstable, but you do need to put it on flat or flattened ground. It works well with a burner too if you don't want the hassle of wood.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
iv just got rid of my woodlands edge and think im gona give making one ago, just not sure weather to try and make a bushbuddy type stove out of a double skin stainless flask, or a more basic hobo stove,
i realy want a stove that dosnt produce too much smoke,think i might keep trying it along the making process to get it as good as i can.
if anybody has any ideas?
cheers

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... any ideas?

Just search for "wood gas stove" with your favourite search engine. There's been a lot of work on this sort of thing for use in deve3loping countries. There's an example of the sort of thing I mean here but you will find dozens of good sources. You might want to try adding something to do with paint cans in your search. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE