Stormy Kromer Mackinaw Coat and Vest.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As many of you know I make a lot of my own equipment as I very often struggle to get kit that exactly fits my needs.

It was a pleasant surprise then to find a Mackinaw coat, that seemed almost perfect for my needs, in an outdoor store that I visit from time to time. The only problem... Not my size.

I looked at the label and it was a company I hadn’t heard of before, Stormy Kromer.

I soon found out that they have a good reputation on the other side of the pond for making hats and this is a lesser known part of their range.

I have to say the coat was not cheap but then real quality rarely is.

Stormy_Kromer_Coat.jpg

Recently I bit the bullet, sold an air rifle that I hadn't used for a while and ordered a coat and vest combination in olive green.

It’s made of heavy wool, 26oz. apparently, but this is much smoother than Swanndri or some of the other wool coats I have seen and used. The vest zips into the coat or can be zipped closed at the front. A loop at the neck line allows it to be buttoned into the coat there too.

Other than the vest there is no lining which I see as an advantage which I’ll talk about later.

One thing I may change is the buttons, they are plastic and although they are decent quality, I just think I would prefer some good wooden ones in their place. That's just me I guess.

The pockets are well thought out. On the jacket there are button down pockets for security with open pockets above for things you want easier access to. I would have liked a gusset in the button down pockets but I always stuff too much junk into my pockets so this might stop me doing that a bit.

Behind the bottom pockets there is a space you can slip your hands into to keep them warm, although these couldn’t really be called pockets because they lack any sort of lip to stop things falling out.

Stormy_Kromer_Jacket_and_Waistcoat.jpg

The waistcoat has open pockets like the jacket and small vertical open pockets above.

Again, I may modify these smaller pocket on one side by putting a couple of vertical lines of stitching to make pencil or pen slots leaving the other side open for a notepad.

So, enough about the design, what is it like?

As mentioned it is good and thick without being itchy. I wore it out on the moor today in the tail end of ex-Hurricane Katia with just a T-shirt under it and it was definitely windproof.

Around the fire in the evening as the temperature dropped it was also warm and cosy.

The label says dry clean only although I can’t see that being a regular job as the lack of a liner means there is no synthetic filling to get stinky as it is worn. I often find that coat liners tend to wear out faster than the main material so I’m quite happy for it to be unlined.

Stormy_Kromer_Waistcoat.jpg

It all appears well made as I’d expect from such a high quality jacket and the lack of lining means all the seams are easily accessible for repair should it ever need it.

The combinations of vest and coat, fastened up or left open gives a range of options when it comes to layering. Part of the reason I wanted this coat was to go under my Snow Parka for the Arctic Trip next year. I think it will fit the bill nicely for that.

I’m expecting this to work well for the Northern forests as Mackinaw coats such as this and the Filson Cruiser have evolved from the sort of clothing worn in that sort of environment across Canada and North America.

Obviously I will have to update you about performance as we get some proper Winter conditions, so watch this space.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I saw this at the PK weekend and it's a great combination coat. I was well impressed with the quality and style of it |:)

Did you buy the regular or tall size Gary?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I've got a Filson Mackinaw cruiser, single thickness, very similar material to the SK and again unlined. You will find them pretty waterproof and very wind resistant. I think I prefere the pocket layout on the Filson. The only draw back I have found is that they are pretty warm even when worn open, so for me a least its a winter coat only, having said that its the best winter outdoor coat I've owned.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I saw this at the PK weekend and it's a great combination coat. I was well impressed with the quality and style of it |:)

Did you buy the regular or tall size Gary?

I'm not sure, I got it from a UK supplier called Bushgear (No connection blah blah..) and they just list them by chest size.

Mine is a 46" which is generous but I wanted it to go over other stuff if needed.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've got a Filson Mackinaw cruiser, single thickness, very similar material to the SK and again unlined. You will find them pretty waterproof and very wind resistant. I think I prefere the pocket layout on the Filson. The only draw back I have found is that they are pretty warm even when worn open, so for me a least its a winter coat only, having said that its the best winter outdoor coat I've owned.

I took a long look at the Filson but this worked out a lot cheaper and had the extra waistcoat as well.

I know what you mean about being warm, I'm sort of looking forward to Winter at the moment.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Mine is a 46" which is generous but I wanted it to go over other stuff if needed.

Smashing looking lad in the piccies;)

I'm very tempted by one of these - could you measure your 46"? I usually wear 44" but don't want to order one that's too small for me:)
-Chest width?
-Arm length, middle neck to cuff?
-Back length, middle neck to hem?

Cheers
MickeS

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I took a long look at the Filson but this worked out a lot cheaper and had the extra waistcoat as well.

I know what you mean about being warm, I'm sort of looking forward to Winter at the moment.

I was lucky enough to pick one up in the Tamarack sales but I've seemn the Sk coats and hats at Bushgears stand at the WG, not much in it I'd say. Great for the cold weather and for sitting round the winter campfire.
Looking forward to the cold weather myself now...........

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Lovely coat Gary, I was really impressed with it last weekend. Cheaper than a Filson as well, you really can't go wrong with one of these!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
looks great mate

can i also ask about the trouser/gaiter set your wearing in the picture - its the sort of thing i've been after for a while

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think some horn/antler buttons would be more suitable than wooden ones but it's a great looking setup - very classic looks and blends in beautifully

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's a really good looking jacket. I prefer the SK pocket arrangement over the Filson one and the price difference seals the deal as far as I'm concerned! I'm not quite so sure about the zip-in arrangement for the waistcoat and would be interested to hear how that works and whether you get overheated in the set-up or not. With dire weather forecast for this winter, it looks as though I might well have to burden my credit card still further - dammit!

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
Thanks for the review, makes it mighty tempting to get one, especially if it the winter is another cold one.

S

StormyKromer

Wayland,

Wow thanks for the great review of our Mackinaw Coat. I might add that you look fantastic as well. We truly hope it stands up for you this winter and for your Arctic trip next year.

You’re absolutely right; we are well known for our caps and have just started to expand our horizons if you will into more of the outerwear industry. We offer the Mackinaw Coat as well as other fine outdoor gear for men and women.

Please give us any feedback you may have as we love to hear it, and find it very helpful when designing new products.

Thanks Again,

Stormy Kromer
www.stormykromer.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE