Storm Matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Bic ones tend to be not refillable and clippers are (you can also change the flint on a clipper) but as far as the thumb wheel and flint goes.....they're about the same :)

Both just cheap plastic lighters really. I tend to prefer a clipper as they are more robust but there's not much in it and certainly nothing to explain your differing results.....unless Joonsy's wrist action is just better and more practiced than yours ;) lol

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Bic ones tend to be not refillable and clippers are (you can also change the flint on a clipper) but as far as the thumb wheel and flint goes.....they're about the same :)

Both just cheap plastic lighters really. I tend to prefer a clipper as they are more robust but there's not much in it and certainly nothing to explain your differing results.....unless Joonsy's wrist action is just better and more practiced than yours ;) lol

That may very well be;). Or I might just be handicapped:lmao:
Out of curiosity, do your Bic's have the childproof safety bands? I do know that they light easier with that feature removed, but mine is unaltered.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Joonsy, I am not familiar with a clipper lighter. I wonder if it is different from the Bic lighters commonly used here?:confused:
I just now submerged my Bic for one minute, and after removing it from the water shook it vigorously to remove as much water as possible. It would not light. One and a half minutes later it still would not light, even though I was blowing on it between attempts to light it.
I am not doubting your results, so please don't think I am. I am curious though why we are getting completely different results, which is why i'm wondering if our Bic's are different.

you used the type with a flint striker and rotaing wheel i presume? and not the electronic push down button one, bics make both versions, i only use the flint ones. As for the rest much what bambodoggy said. :)

....unless Joonsy's wrist action is just better and more practiced than yours ;) lol

yeah i've got pretty good wrist action, as i live alone i get plenty of practice :lmao:ATB.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
you used the type with a flint striker and rotaing wheel i presume? and not the electronic push down button one, bics make both versions, i only use the flint ones. As for the rest much what bambodoggy said. :)

yeah i've got pretty good wrist action, as i live alone i get plenty of practice :lmao:ATB.

Yes, that is the type. I've never seen the other kind. I have no explanation or idea why mine does what it does. I've experienced the same results before so it's not a matter of one bad lighter. I can only assume our water is different.;)
Another of the great unsolved mysteries of the world I suppose:).

Alone or married, after a certain number of years, is there a difference?:lmao:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Same applies buddy, if you haven't looked after yourself first then how can you help anybody else....and if you allow yourself to go down through helping somebody else then you are no help to anybody...:)
So somebody falls in a river. They can't get out because of minor injury, or maybe their clothing weighs them down.

You help them out and get wet and cold doing so. You now need to get a fire going to warm both of you up.
The OP has asked for advice in kitting themselves out so they can get a fire going in just such a situation. That's being prepared.

I guess from what you've said, you wouldn't dare help the person out in case you got cold.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Too many variables in that sort of scenario to tell you what I'd do...also a possible difference in what I'd do and what I'd openly advise others to do. But to answer your central point, no...if it meant me becoming another casualty with nothing other than a packet of storm matches and a candle protecting me from an unpleasant death from hypothermia I wouldn't do it. Maybe that's harsh....maybe it's common sense....but It's not callous, it would be a gut wrenching decision to make but if I couldn't help the situation then I wouldn't make it worse by having a higher body count either. I have on several occasions put myself in considerable danger in order to help others but would I take pointless risks or ditch all my training and experience and rely purely on instinct....No, I would not.

Of course, because I carry a little lighter in a little plastic bag....I could in fact effect the rescue you describe and still be safe as I'd be able to whip out my bic and have that candle roaring in seconds ;) But that would be a choice I'd make at the time depending on where we were in relation to rescue/additional help. Life is one big risk assessment ;)

To return to the original point...I just don't rate lifeboat matches and think it better to carry a little disposable lighter of your choice in a little push seal plastic bag....that's all

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
In winter I use storm matches quite a lot, I swear by them but that's just my preference. Drop one in a meths burner, drop one on a hexy block, lie one on top of your stove to light it. I don't want to even think about taking my gloves off to strike a lighter that may scratch the leather,hoping it's warm enough to light. Hoping I remembered to put it in a inside pocket etc etc. As I say, just my preference for winter use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE