Matches? Who needs 'em?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
This will seem heretical to many, I'm sure, but I long ago came to the conclusion that matches were a pretty poor option for firestarting in the contexts of camping or wilderness survival.

You only get one light from a match. If it's a damp match you get no light and tend to crumble the match head which then has only limited potential for firelighting. And when you have used your matches, you have to resort to other methods of firelighting of varying degrees of difficulty. Why this love affair with matches, then? I used to do the waterproofing thing: coating rows of Swan vestas stuck in Plasticine with nail varnish, etc. and devising ducky little waterproof 'match safes' (with strikers) to keep them in. What a waste of time!

How many matches would one have to carry to equal the fire-lighting potential in a single butane gas lighter? Hundreds, probably. I've usually got a couple of my favoured Clipper brand butane lighters on my person when I'm out and about. I buy them at the local market for £1.00 for two. These are refillable and come in a range of exciting colours (including bushcraft orange). Moreover, the flint/wheel striker mechanisms of this brand can be removed, either to replace the flint, or for use as a stand-alone tinder striker (if, perhaps, the lighter's fuel had run out or leaked away through damage).

Firesteels are great as reliable firestarting back-up. I've probably got half-a-dozen stashed in various bum bags, rucksacks and jacket pockets. Nevertheless, cheap butane lighters have got to be the most economical, reliable and generally useful means of lighting a fire.

Matches? You can keep 'em.

Burnt Ash

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I agree - matches suck. However, I also have problems with Clippers (and similar) outdoors - they really don't like the wind. I really need to get my Zippo fixed...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah but they have that lovely forbidden quality...

No one ever said "never play with bow drills or firesteels" did they.

However the "never play with matches" interdiction was drummed into all boys of a certain age. Hence our obsessions with campfires and matches.:D

My own child care philosophy now is centralised on the admonition "never sit quietly reading a book or fetch your father a cold one" ;)

Sorry - fair point on the matches but I still like em for not many good reasons. Cant do much better than a good refillable lighter for sheer practicality I agree. But then so much in Bushcraft is a bit daft when you come right down to it

Red

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Must say I like matches. I also like matchcases- the K&M model is superb, though I also have a 50 year old Marbles one. The Marbles design goes back to 1906, and has an integral lid. Still waterproof.

I would also put in a word for flint and steel plus charcloth. This is THE traditional method, used between the iron age and the invention of the match around 1820.

- it is fast, about as fast as using matches.
- people think it must be difficult, and start regarding you as a bushcraft guru. :cool:
- in wind, it is easier than anything else. You can blow out a match or a lighter, but not glowing charcloth.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Doc said:
- in wind, it is easier than anything else. You can blow out a match or a lighter, but not glowing charcloth.

To my mind Doc has it nailed with this one simple sentence. I don't like matches. OK, I carry a few with me in my pack most times I'm out. They are waxed Swan Vestas and they live in an old film cannister with a piece of rough sandpaper for striking on in case nothing easier to use is close to hand. The thing is, I cannot remember the last time I used a match for anything! *LOL*

Any decent breeze will make a mockery of a matches flame. The same goes for most lighters, but just you try to blow out a piece of smouldering piece of well prepared charcloth! If I'm determined to do things "properly" I'll use flint and steel to get my charcloth going then add that to a tinder-ball. If I'm feeling a little more energetic I'll use the bow drill. If I'm feeling a little lazy I'll use a ferro rod, and on days when my mind-set is more like "Sod all this larking about, I want a cuppa and I want it NOW!" (This is the most common state of being for me :rolleyes: ) then I'll get my kelly kettle or fire lit with my ever present jet-flame lighter :lmao: I've yet to be out on a day when that would blow out because of the wind. I've been out fishing in a Force 11 on the South coast in driving rain and hail and still been able to get a cigar going with that little beauty ;)

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
British Red said:
. But then so much in Bushcraft is a bit daft when you come right down to it.

Red

I have thought this for a long time. I consider myself a 'bushcrafter' and have been fascinated by the subject for years. But, crikey ...how to make an easy thing difficult! Watford to Rickmansworth via ****ing Aberdeen.

I larfs, I larfs.

Burnt Ash

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Burnt Ash said:
I have thought this for a long time. I consider myself a 'bushcrafter' and have been fascinated by the subject for years. But, crikey ...how to make an easy thing difficult! Watford to Rickmansworth via ****ing Aberdeen.

I larfs, I larfs.

Burnt Ash
Absolutely. :lmao:
But I still carry a few matches.My father was blind and matches were the only way to safely light a cigarette.
He used to line up a match alongside his fag with the head of the match protruding by a few mm.Strike the match and by the time it reached his mouth the match was alight and in the right place.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
British Red said:
Maybe is A BW thing BB?

Or just an "old fart" thing :D. Do you have a K&M case?

Red
Yes,a superb piece of kit. Holds a few matches,a cotton wool ball(stops them rattleing and emergency tinder) and has a decent compass.
Firesteels dissolve in salt water,so matches are a good backup in marine environments.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't mind matches but heck, it's not like I ever use them. I use a Zippo 99% of the time I need flame, and I have my firesteel that I fool around with when the heaven's aren't pouring down on Nanaimo. Gah, trying to find decent tinder in a sopping wet forest is a really great way to spend your free time.

However, I still havematches in my survival tin. And in my jacket pocket. And in my smoking shed. Because hey, you never know what might happen!

Adam

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Argh, I hate matches!!
If the weather's any worse than a beautifully calm day, I can't even light a cigarette, let alone a fire.
I'm quite partial to my firesteel, it's much more impressive :D
It's kinda odd, in bad weather I'll struggle to get me a blaze going with my firesteel, even though I have a zippo for lighting cigarettes in my pocket...

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I never use matches for bushcraft and cant remember the last time i used one for anything else, I prefer firesteel or my trusty windproof petrol lighter ( for my rollups ), i have however always got those super wet and windproof matches in my survival kit, just in case.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I always carry matches but hardly ever use them. They do have another more useful, unconventional use though......I was once trying to light a fire on a very wet and cold morning and all my kindling and tinder was wet, I didn't know what else to do than empty out a box of matches with the wet tinder and kindling over them and light the matches with my lighter. The matches burnt quite quickly but it did dry everything else out enough to catch light. So in my opinion they are quite a good emergency fire starter (if only single use :rolleyes: )

I do love my flint and steel though :D
and my fire steel :rolleyes:
but fire by friction still escapes me :confused:

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
gregorach said:
I agree - matches suck. However, I also have problems with Clippers (and similar) outdoors - they really don't like the wind. I really need to get my Zippo fixed...

Hey gregorach whats up with your zippo. Its just i have a spare one you can use for parts if you want.

Jay

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Bushcraft4life said:
Hey gregorach whats up with your zippo. Its just i have a spare one you can use for parts if you want.

Jay

The leaf spring that holds the hinge cam has lost its spring, so the top just flaps around... All I need to do is stick it in the post to the Zippo service centre. ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Draven,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I too have this bad habit of wanting to get flammable things going with my firesteel even though I have a Zippo in my trouser pocket, and at least three different packs of matches in my pack and survival kit. Why? I really no no idea. Maybe it's a Ray Mears influence???

LOL!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE