Storing cured meat/bacon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
In my house i have a couple of cellar rooms, one of them still has the old stone slab shelves laid out & has an all year round cool temperature of about 4 degrees C. It think this used to be the larder.

I was remembering a conversation with my Grandad from years ago, he was reminiscing about running home from school & cutting a few slices of bacon from the joint hung in the larder & frying it up :)

I'd love to do this, but is it till possible to buy a cured bacon joint these days? Does anyone here still keep meat this way & what are the do's & dont's?

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Didn,t that guy Hugh F W from river cottage cure his pig meat by hanging it in a `smoker`to cure it ?? Have a chat with a traditional butcher see what he says!!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you buy a 'ham' it is ready to hang and in the right conditions will keep for ages.

A quick bit of google-fu brings up this site, very tasty looking! :)

Last edited:

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
You can salt cure your own bacon easily. It will keep for ages in a cool place like a cellar, hanging in some muslin cloth. I do belly pork bacon a couple of times a year. Great for stews, casseroles etc and can be fried/grilled to.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I can certainly recommend having a go at Hugh FWs cured ham. In fact I thinking about doing this again this year only last night. I've done it twice now, following Hugh's instructions in the River Cottage Meat book. Basically you buy a ham, bone it, squash it in salt for a few weeks. Then wrap it in muslin and hang it up to air dry for 6 months or so.
I went down the route of contructing a box frame and chicken wire/mesh to keep out pesky varmints and hung it up in the woodshed.
It produced quality parma style ham which costs a fortune for just a few slices in the supermarket. The biggest problem is everyone wants to help you eat it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In the modern days of health consciousness, less salt is used to cure bacon than was traditionally. Both salt and refrigeration are used to inhibit bacterial action and reproduction. Because we are now told by the nannies that "salt is bad", not enough is added to cure a side of bacon to inhibit bacterial action at even low ambient temperature. If you cure your own using more salt than commercial cures, then a side of bacon will be very happy in your cellar. Its cheaper too.

When you do it though, some do gooder will come along and tell you shouldn't because it doesn't fit their "one size fits all" health agenda!

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In the modern days of health consciousness, less salt is used to cure bacon than was traditionally. Both salt and refrigeration are used to inhibit bacterial action and reproduction. Because we are now told by the nannies that "salt is bad", not enough is added to cure a side of bacon to inhibit bacterial action at even low ambient temperature. If you cure your own using more salt than commercial cures, then a side of bacon will be very happy in your cellar. Its cheaper too.

When you do it though, some do gooder will come along and tell you shouldn't because it doesn't fit their "one size fits all" health agenda!

Red

Happily that health agenda hasn't reached these shores and a high percentage of Hungarians (who live outwith the cities) raise and slaughter their own pigs, the quantity of cheap quality pig products available from markets (or relatives) is a big thumbs up for that hands off approach.

:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or just cure my own! Still, people forget what curing actually means. Smoking doesn't preserve - it flavours. All preserved foods are either dried or salted or both as part of the process.

I really must get round to writing that article on the techniques of food preservation!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I really must get round to writing that article on the techniques of food preservation!.."

We'll look forward to that. :)

Trunks, if the idea of preserving your own pork appeals you should find a copy of this old book, 'Food in England' by Dorothy Hartley, there is a chapter on salting and preserving, but also much information about the kitchen and larder that goes with this kind of food preparation.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I've cured my own Parma style hams a number of times, storing them in the cupboard under the stairs, or the broom cupboard - what ever was available where I happened to be living at the time.

most recently i stored a whole leg of Serano ham in our cellar for over a year.

Alex

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
In the modern days of health consciousness, less salt is used to cure bacon than was traditional...

It won't be be merely "common salt" (i.e. sodium chloride) when done commercially.

Of course, nitrates (and nitrites more so) are also a worry to the "health conscious". Whether they should be ... and there are fairly high levels in some vegetables, anyway. But there are a few small firms offering "nitrate free" bacon:

http://www.devonrose.com/shop/free-from-nitrate-free/nitrate-free-dry-cured-bacon.html

Both salt and refrigeration are used to inhibit bacterial action and reproduction. Because we are now told by the nannies that "salt is bad", not enough is added to cure a side of bacon to inhibit bacterial action at even low ambient temperature.

Same for smoking. There's also drying in various ways, keeping under fat (as with duck legs in France - confit), and so on. The fat would exclude the air. Something like a ham hung in a chimney would build up a blackened outer layer that would probably help to seal it a bit, besides being fairly toxic to any organism (including probably insects) that might attack the food. I guess they cut that bit off and threw it away.

You're certainly right to imply that the public health attitude to salt is not well-founded:

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/PIIS0899900710002893/fulltext#sec17

Unfortunately, that's true in quite a few areas. What people have been told to do runs far ahead of what is justified by the science and in some cases actually runs contradictory to the science. The complete article that the above is from - a castigation of U.S, dietary policy by a shedload of phDs:

"Important aspects of these recommendations remain unproven, yet a dietary shift in this direction has already taken place even as overweight/obesity and diabetes have increased. Although appealing to an evidence-based methodology, the DGAC Report demonstrates several critical weaknesses, including use of an incomplete body of relevant science; inaccurately representing, interpreting, or summarizing the literature; and drawing conclusions and/or making recommendations that do not reflect the limitations or controversies in the science ... [my italics]"

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/PIIS0899900710002893/fulltext

Pushing low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets at the public when those seem likely to be part of the problem is perhaps the major silliness. Even people like Hugh Fernley Whittingstall have climbed aboard that stupid bandwagon. But I'm going off-topic.

If you cure your own using more salt than commercial cures, then a side of bacon will be very happy in your cellar. Its cheaper too.

As the scientists above say:

... the current sweeping recommendations for population-wide sodium restrictions that disregard uncertainties in the science and variations in individuals ...

However, really highly salted bacon, such as was made in the past, would probably taste pretty horrible. They had to use more salt, but that meant they frequently had to soak their food in fresh water to make it eatable before using it. They used to put salt cod, which was a staple in places like Portugal, in running streams for hours. Salted meats seem to have needed at least some soaking. There's a recipe for bacon and eggs from 1615 in Dorothy Hartley's excellent Food in England (1954):

... cut the collops into thin slices lay them on a dish and put hot water on them, so let it stand for an howere or two. Then drain away the water clean, and pat them dry, and lay them one by one on a dish and set before the fire, so that they may toast ...

It's been seriously suggested that the large drink allowances in some monastic rules (up to a gallon of ale per man per day) were on account of the salt meat. Even after all that soaking it would probably have left you a bit thirsty.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Al true to some extent, my point really was, for meat too survive at low ambient temperatures, it must be preserved. Preservation can include, high salt, high acid, high sugar (also included in many "cures"), very low moisture. Smoking does impart an anti microbial coating, but will not preserve the bulk of meat in and of itself. Most smoked meats are already salt cured (especially hams and bacon). Others are dried extensively - in that case its the drying rather than the smoking that is the decisive action.

I'm even boring myself now.....sorry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE