Storing a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
When storing a carbon knife for long periods I've heard you should oil the blade. Is this correct and if so what sort of oil should you use?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Wax is better for longer term storage. Either a candle rubbed on the blade, or something like renaissance wax.:)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Better to store it out of its sheath as they can absorb/hold dampness.

+1 The leather will stretch to the shape of the blade, so it's not as tight.
I personally, keep mine sheathed to avoid damage, two blades chipping each other is not nice.
Beeswax is great if your knives are packed away for a while.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I've had pretty good success storing my knives using Ballistol, Frog Lube and Renaissance Wax. I've been mostly using Ballistol lately for storing my knives. As mentioned previously, I try not to store the knives in leather sheaths either. I came across these storage cases a few years ago, and really like how they have the outside strap for securing the sheath. I normally throw in a silica gel packet to help manage the moisture.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I use any oil I can find depending on if I an in the shed then its 3in1 if the kitchen the its veg oil.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Here is the link to where I got the knife cases.
http://www.uniquecases.com/section.php?xSec=9.

I think they made a mistake on the prices when they updated their website, and the price increases a little for each larger size. If I recall correctly, it is an additional dollar to add the strap for the sheath. If you're interested in them, then I'm sure a quick email could sort everything out and provide more detailed info than I can. dixie109@frontiernet.net.

I have about 10 of the cases and I'm quite happy with them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest, I don't worry about it. Never had a problem with a knife as yet. But I did have a gun rust badly when a friend left it in a gun sock (I believe y'all call it a gun slip?) for a week in his car trunk. The gunslip (like the knife sheaths) acted as a wick, drawing moisture from the air to the metal surface.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE