Stoopid question - food tins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
:rolleyes: Just a quick question .. please feel free to shoot me if this has been asked before or is plan obvious (11hrs into a 12hr night shift!!!!!!!) but if I have a wayland stylee hobo stove and want some beans out of a tin, can i just open tin and heat in that or do i need to use a billy?????

see told you it was a daft question ................

:dunno:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Eat straight out of the tin matey. Had many 100s of meals this way! Heat the can directly if contents are suitable or heat in boiling water and have a brew with the water after. Don't forget to pierce the tin!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Ravioli is nice right out the tin cold aswell. The trouble with cooking tinned food in tins is unless you keep a beady eye on it, it burns and then tastes like poo.

xylaria

Lidls ravioli burns quite easily, but tastes proper lovely. I can bushcraft up a handle with sticks. I get two reasonblly flexable sticks (hazel) about two foot long, put the tin in middle of the sticks, and then tie the sticks together with bullush leaves squeezing te tin between them. I hope that makes sence. It helps control the heat the tin is exposed to so helps prevent burning.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Some lables are stuck on with a thick glue that will let off nasty fumes when heated, and gunk up everything in comes in to contact with.
Not only that, but I find the contents in the bottom of the tin tend to be more compressed, which makes stirring difficult and means the stuff at the bottom burns.
You CAN heat stuff in the tin, but it's better to decant it into another pan or billy or something.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
:rolleyes: Just a quick question .. please feel free to shoot me if this has been asked before or is plan obvious (11hrs into a 12hr night shift!!!!!!!) but if I have a wayland stylee hobo stove and want some beans out of a tin, can i just open tin and heat in that or do i need to use a billy?????

see told you it was a daft question ................

:dunno:

Tins with either a white or a glossy or a gold inner surface, contain a water dilutable acrylated epoxy-phenolic coating, and of course, Bisphenol A.
Bisphenol A has known to be harmful to humans since the 1930,
Too much information online, to include, so I’d say google Bisphenol A before boiling/cooking anything in a can with a white/glossy/gold colour inside

xylaria

Some lables are stuck on with a thick glue that will let off nasty fumes when heated, and gunk up everything in comes in to contact with.
Not only that, but I find the contents in the bottom of the tin tend to be more compressed, which makes stirring difficult and means the stuff at the bottom burns.
You CAN heat stuff in the tin, but it's better to decant it into another pan or billy or something.

Thats why I make a handle with two sticks, it makes stirring easier during heating. I take the lid off before heating and place it back on, this helps more even heating, as well preventing ash getting in.

I don't use tins when overnight camping, they are too heavy to justify bring. I just use tins for day long walks, even then it is not often.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk

Because of this I always shake tins before opening them and (if they're the type with two crimped ends) tend to open the bottom rather then the top

If I don't want to take a billy I'll just eat them cold but try to have a hot drink with it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE