Stone oven - mk2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
We decided to give the oven a bit of a revamp. Deepened the pit to allow us to use bigger logs(mainly just so we could leave it unattended for longer) and this time we went for a dyke build with peagravel filling the gaps.
Moved the door to the back to make getting in at the food easier while the main fire was also on the go.

It'll get more done to it yet. We were toying with slabbing over the front if the smoke was leaking through it(wasn't too bad) and the back will get built up a bit like the sides allowing the door slabs a nice seal on the turf.
....and the turf of course.

Working a treat. We had pizza after putting it together, smoked a bunch of mackies overnight then had a big steak pie the next night.

OVEN_01.jpg

OVEN_02.jpg

OVEN_03.jpg

OVEN_04.jpg

OVEN_05.jpg

OVEN_06.jpg

OVEN_07.jpg

OVEN_08.jpg

OVEN_09.jpg

OVEN_10.jpg

:)
Josh

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Got to admit, that was the tastiest steak pie I've had in a long time

The mackies and pizza were done to perfection too, we ate well all week :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nice work......do we get to see pictures of what came out of it?!
Sorry, didn't take any. Was wishing I had while popping the pics up but at the time all I was thinking about was dinner being ready. Next time out there should be bread on the go - I'll try to remember then. :)

Don't you have to watch for exploding stones?
The schist roundabout doesn't appear prone to exploding or cracking. Yon slabs that the fire's sitting on have been there for seven years or so and haven't so much as pinged.
The mk1 oven did pop one time as we heated it. Turned out to be just a little flake about an inch diameter and about a eighth thick delaminating off a base slab the way concrete goes if you cook it with a blowtorch.
Time will tell. :) The worst that can happen is a base slab cracking and there are worse ways to spend an afternoon that tearing it all apart and rebuilding it.
Valid point though. I'm sure there are other rocks that wouldn't be so happy with the same treatment.

Should really mention(not that it's cropped up) that this is a pals land(that's him in the photos). I'm as leave-no-trace as the next guy and wouldn't dream of building something like this just any old where.
Scottie uses this camp a lot though and an oven's a useful addition to the home-from-home. I know lots of the folk on the forum have bits of land where they can do these things so it'll be no surprise to them but just in case anyone thought we were rearranging the landscape somewhere without permission......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE