Stone axe find!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
axe 002.jpgFound this stone axe a few years back on the western edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, ploughing had brought it to the surface. Its a fantastic piece of work - there's a slight nick in the blade, probably where the plough hit it.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
superb find, amazing bit of history you have there. if its polished greenstone it probably originated from langdale some 3500 bc in the neolithic period.

The local museum said exactly that. It must have taken hours to polish, but I've just read on wikipedia that the polishing gave the axe more strength as well as reducing friction against wood.

I also found a small ammonite as well as a dinner plate size one that was immovable on a huge sandstone slab. I've been back many times since but found nothing.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Beautiful find Bowlander. I've spent many days/weeks/months fieldwalking all over Wiltshire and the downs as part of my work as an archaeologist, and although I have seen finds as lovely, I've never found one as nice myself! That is a beauty :) congratulations mate :)

Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful piece :) what a wonderful find :cool:
Was their other evidence around of the people ? clearance boundaries and the like ?

cheers,
Toddy

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
That's a great find.

I've spent hours in the past looking through the scree below the Langdale axe factory trying to find a piece of rough worked stone that they didn't want, and you found that beauty in a Lincolnshire field.

Cheers, Michael.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Beautiful piece :) what a wonderful find :cool:
Was their other evidence around of the people ? clearance boundaries and the like ?

cheers,
Toddy

It was on the edge of some ancient woodland on the sandstone edge of the Western Lincs Wolds where the land dips down to the Vale of Ancholme. On the Google Map it looks like theres something in the green field on the left. The farmer had subsoiled the field and thats what had dragged the axe up.

axe find.JPG

I'm not sure of its value, we offered it to the local museum who said they had some already.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have always wanted to find something like that after having found a bored-out stone loom/fishing weight in gravel taken from near Sutto Walls camp in Herefordshire as a kid.
The weight was lost in one of our many house moves but the interest in pre-history is still with me!

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
There's something wonderful about knowing the age and possible history of something like that. Did anyone watch 'Gods and Monsters' when it was on? I only caught one episode where a chap was explaining that in medieval times, stone age tools where very abundant, pretty much to be found where they were dropped. Flint arrow heads where often mistaken for Elves weapons, thus perpetrating the myth.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
About 10 years ago I went on a trip to the Gilf Kebir (The English Patient, Cave of Swimmers, etc.) and in a wadi near Wadi Sura we found dozens of stone tools, just laying on the desert surface as if they had just been dropped the day before. All was left behind of course but it was great to hold those tools and impossible not to feel some kind of connection to the people who made them. I've found a few small flint tools in England whilst field-walking but nothing as wonderful as your find Bowlander. Enjoy it & look after it!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
The museum at Market Rasen already had quite a few neolithic artefacts. The arable land has thin soils and is worked heavily and turns up bits and bobs regularly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE