Stone Age bits and pieces...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And now a "Glue Pot" rock for making my Pine Resin/Beeswax/Charcoal Dust hot glue.
The rock is a hardish Sandstone from Amroth beach hand carved with hammer and chisel. I then made up a (rather large!) batch of glue to season the rock ... I rather over did it!
The work was done in my workshop/garage and the rock heated on a camping gas burner as the weather outside was cold and wet... the photos aint good but you will get the idea!
I ended up with some ready to use glue, a glue brush (crushed Hazel twig) and a sealed Glue Pot Rock.DSCI0003.JPGDSCI0007.JPGDSCI0008.JPGDSCI0009.JPGDSCI0010.JPGDSCI0011.JPG

And now a "Glue Pot" rock for making my Pine Resin/Beeswax/Charcoal Dust hot glue.
The rock is a hardish Sandstone from Amroth beach hand carved with hammer and chisel. I then made up a (rather large!) batch of glue to season the rock ... I rather over did it!
The work was done in my workshop/garage and the rock heated on a camping gas burner as the weather outside was cold and wet... the photos aint good but you will get the idea!
I ended up with some ready to use glue, a glue brush (crushed Hazel twig) and a sealed Glue Pot Rock.View attachment 71491View attachment 71492View attachment 71493View attachment 71494View attachment 71495View attachment 71496
Love it John, well done.
Keith.

And a prehistoric/Iron Age side arm - the sling!
I moulded the cup to take a tennis ball (for practice) or a large slingshot (for destruction of people/property) out of veg tan leather and braided the "strings" from calf leather thonging
View attachment 72348View attachment 72349
It works....
Well done again John, how is your accuracy coming along?
Keith.

Distance - good
Accuracy ....hmmmm....
Keep working on it John, you'll get there.
I recall reading where a certain people destroyed a fleet of invading ships using just slingshots using oblong ammunition. I tried to find the info again but could not, though I fancy it may have been the Greeks, but you may find the following of some interest John:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/ancient-slingshot-lethal-44-magnum-scotland
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/whistling-sling-bullets-were-roman-troops-secret-weapon/
https://picclick.co.uk/Greek-Lead-Sling-Bullet-from-Battle-of-Olynthus-223287491361.html
Regards, Keith.

Reactions: Erbswurst

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Interesting stuff!
I always quote a slingshot as being like a .357 magnum round and Goliath of Gath as being the guy who took a knife (sword) to a gunfight.... it makes David Vs Goliath seem a little less miraculous :)
Brythonic Iron Age people used sound as a terror weapon too - their trumpets (carnyx) were intended (it seems) to scare the enemy. Although ancient Jericho may have had no walls that actually "tumbled down" at the sounding of trumpets, perhaps the human defenders (a living wall?) did collapse when the trumpets sounded :) or was it sonic weapons on a massive scale?

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Loup

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Your constructions of Neolithic implements brings back lots of memories of recent additions to the collections in museums across western Canada.

I recall stone hammer heads being used as door stops in my grandparents prairie farm house. Functionally, those hammers were used to break bison bone for the marrow and brains. Any midden is untold cubic meters of crushed bison bone, all the size of postage stamps.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
and there must have been lambs SOMEWHERE even if not in Britain...
Yes there was, the young of the mouflon (probably the ancestor of modern sheep) though originally native to the Caspian & Causasus regions, our mesolithic ancestors did move around a lot. ;) Unfortunately I can't find any evidence wrist watches existed at the time.:)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think Iron Age people might well have used shirts like that. So it might not be an anachronism in IA. The belt buckle slightly is in Mesolithic.

I wonder how many of the guests actually would know that? On the other hand I think one should follow fairly closely the age intended. There are enough popular misunderstandings around.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE