Sticky ... Tacky ... Inner lining for Bergans or Packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
I've just bought a 2nd hand Bergan and on closer inspection have found the inner lining very tacky as if the lining has deteriorated.
I can use pack liners etc ... but is there a way that anybody knows to fix it please, talc has been suggested but a temporary fix.
Thanks.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread, I have a similar situation with the waterproof coating ageing into a sticky mess.
I’ve tried manually removing the coating but enough remains to refer the bag unusable.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
Granted the item is approx 15 years old, the outer has plenty more life if I can fix the inner.
It was a very good deal but I didn't really ask what the interior was like ... oh well I will the next time.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I had that happen to me with a light weight North Face Skareb pack. The coating was coming off the lightweight ripstop nylon like a thin membrane. The only solution was to go outside and religiously rub, pick and peel the lining out. It still repels light showers but I now rely on waterproof rucsac cover for heavier stuff.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have seen rubber turn back to oil one a few occasions. Most recent was in my car, the rubber cover that adjusts the steering column. I had noticed black marks on the knees of my dogi and for the life of me couldn't find the source.. Then I reached under the column to adjust the steering and it was like grabbing a ball of sticky goo!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I took a pressure washer to the inside of a Kifaru pack that had been left in a squad car for about 3 years in Texas. Full blast, no mercy, the bag was 1000D Cordura and I new it was robust enough to take it. The smell is the worst. I got the worst of it off the pack then applied McNett tent sealant on top. It stopped the smell and contained the tackiness. I think it took a couple of applications. Bag was as good as new afterwards there was no issue putting clothes or items in unprotected. It's a long job though perfect on a hot dry summer day when you can blast it with the pressure washer a few times and get the sealant on quicker with it drying.

Reactions: Athos and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE