Stewart Marsh knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
Hi,

I've also got a Stewart Marsh Bushcrafter. I chanced my arm on Ebay about 6 months ago - paid about £75 for it in the end.

I can only second what most other people have said. Really nice bloke to deal with and an excellent knife - very very robust and fantastic value. After some serious use it takes (and holds) a lovely edge. Superb steel. Mine was also fairly roughly sharpened when new but only took some fine waterstone work and a good stropping... :)

I actually like the fairly 'short' point. I think it distinguishes the knife from some of the other Woodlore clones out there and only adds to its feeling of strength. IMO you can do all the same tasks with the original point shape.

I'd have no qualms about buying another - really high standard of fit'n'finish (including the lovely sheath) and marvellous value. I suspect it'll outlast me if looked after...

Cheers,
Rod

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
You should also check out Ben Orford another great maker of this type of knife.
I got a Whittler Full tang 3” blade 4.25” handle in 3mm steel stock with a elm burl handle, from him in April is a great little knife and you get to pick the colour of the sheath.
thread and here

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying one of Staurt's bushcraft knives, and am more and more leaning towards his rather than the woodlore.

Anyone got a pic of theirs? If you wouldn't mind, I'd really like to see the differences between the two points.

Also, you people who have one of these knives, would you say it's worth the £125, and a knife that would last 'a life time'. Also more importantly, is the knife good quality, hold a good edge and shapen well?

Cheers,
Dan

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Daniel said:
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying one of Staurt's bushcraft knives, and am more and more leaning towards his rather than the woodlore.

Anyone got a pic of theirs? If you wouldn't mind, I'd really like to see the differences between the two points.

Also, you people who have one of these knives, would you say it's worth the £125, and a knife that would last 'a life time'. Also more importantly, is the knife good quality, hold a good edge and shapen well?

Cheers,
Dan

Here's a comparison between the two tips.

Stewart Marsh knife on the top, Woodlore below. The tip of the SM is not quite as well executed as the woodlore and has a blunter profile.

Pict0055.jpg

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Thanks for that familne! Would you think this would be something that Stuart Marsh could easily rectify if you were to ask him.

The reason I ask, is from looking at the picture I would prefer the woodlore point, and if I received his knife like this, would want it to be rectified...

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Daniel said:
Thanks for that familne! Would you think this would be something that Stuart Marsh could easily rectify if you were to ask him.

The reason I ask, is from looking at the picture I would prefer the woodlore point, and if I received his knife like this, would want it to be rectified...

Yes, I'm positive he would rectify it if you were unhappy, otherwise it's an excellent knife.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Just noticed this on the site selling Stewart's knives:

"Due to the recurrence of an old back injury, Stewart will be unable to complete any current knife orders for about 6 weeks, and any further orders will take at least 8 weeks from ordering to be completed. Your patience is appreciated."

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I was having an e-mail chat with Linda Marsh after receiving my knife back and Stewart has taken on board user’s feedback and has altered the point on the last batch of knives to be more "pointy" :) .

Stewart makes his knives in batches of 6 and future batches will have the more defined point.

Linda also says that Stewart is making knifes again after his back problem is getting better and they will take direct orders on their e-mail address stewlyn@blueyonder.co.uk

If anyone wants to post this info on BB (I don't subscribe) feel free.

Just to emphasise, I am a very happy owner of an SM knife and not in anyway affiliated with SM.

David

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I spoke to Stewart last night and he said he was only only getting back to work after a back injury.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Leon,

I take a couple of shots of the knife tonight. I'm very happy with it. Had a play last night putting lanyard holes in a couple of spoon projects that have not worked just to test the point, much better.

David

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Angus Og said:
familne
Got any pics of your woodlander handle from the top looking down seeing the full tang.

cheers

Is that the Ben Orford woodlander? Yep, will do.

leon-1

moduser said:
Leon,

I take a couple of shots of the knife tonight. I'm very happy with it. Had a play last night putting lanyard holes in a couple of spoon projects that have not worked just to test the point, much better.

David

Great stuff and many thanks Dave, look forward to seeing how he has reshaped it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE