Steiner binoculars experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hi I'm looking at a pair of Steiner binoculars has anyone got any experience of them? I remember seeing them at sea occasionally and thought at the time they were comparable to the Zeiss 7x50's we used. I fancy the nautical ones with a compass in them.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got the 8x24 wildlife ones, Very happy with them, they fit easily in the pocket & give a good field of view & clarity way above their size. I went to the bird watchers fair at Rutland water about 3yrs ago, & got to try every pair of bino's(well almost)that are available, & the steiners came out top in price & as you say were equaly as good as the zeiss. The only pair I found that suited me as well as the steiners were some from the Czec republic & they were £600, & heavier.

You could say I'm very happy with mine !.

Rob

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have a pair of 8x40 IIRC
They are Brill. Comfortable in the hand, not too heavy. Optical clarity is superb, easily up to Zeiss and the Swasoski (sp) scope ihave on my 308
I have a couple of similar sized bins and these are the ones that come out with me when stalking. Dawn and dusk optical clarity is better than the scope. There have been times when I've e seen things with the bins when 3/4 dark but not been able to pick it out with the rifle without it moving.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have a pair of 8x30 predator pro and a pair of military/marine 8x30.
Very light and clear optics. I think someo of the best binoculars out there without spending a couple of thousand pounds on a pair of swarovski binos.
the auto focus takes a little getting used to at first but is a very good feature.
I dislike the neck strap that comes with steiner binoculars: too fiddly to put on and annoying, so I swapped it for a back harness and have had no issues since.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I don''t have Steiner but I do have 7x50 waterproof binoculars with built-in compass and they're very useful for navigation anywhere.
I find it much easier to to take a reliable, accurate bearing with the binoculars than with any of the hand-bearing compasses that I own.
Apart from the price, the main disadvantage compared with a compass of course is the weight and bulk.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I don''t have Steiner but I do have 7x50 waterproof binoculars with built-in compass and they're very useful for navigation anywhere.
I find it much easier to to take a reliable, accurate bearing with the binoculars than with any of the hand-bearing compasses that I own.
Apart from the price, the main disadvantage compared with a compass of course is the weight and bulk.

Well I know what you mean about weight but the steiner 7x30 are lighter than my Hawke Endurance.

Rosahane

Jan 21, 2013
Ireland
I've got 7X50 Sagor II. Rubber armoured military type.
Got them reasonably cheaply I think (€300) in the shop at my shooting range where they had sat unsold for years. They have incredible light gathering capabilities!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a pair of Commander XP 7 x 50 ones, unused and boxed as new, if anyone would like them. I know it's not the correct area for mentioning such things but... the topic was right and the bins are just sitting there, so...

PM me if you're interested.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE