Steel Kelly Kettle ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Hi guys, I often read the posts here it's a good place to learn and pick up information. But finaly I've a reason to post.
Here is a question for you. I love the idea of the Kelly Kettle but with it being made of aluminium I'm wary of the links associated with Alzhiemers disease. Does anyone know of an alternative ?

So far searching the web has found me these offerings.

The one that started me on this question.
http://www.kellykettle.com/

Another aluminium version, looks very nice in the pictures.
http://www.eydonkettle.co.uk/index.htm

Made of copper, originaly from New Zealand now available from America. I don't know of any uk suppliers and so importing would probably make this too expensive for me
http://www.thermette.com/

Finally, so far, a steel flask that could be heated in a fire. Great idea but not quite what I am looking for right now. I'm sure I got the address from a previous thread here.
http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=100&CFID=1124215&CFTOKEN=50185847

I'm sure there must be something out there somewhere. Can anyone help ?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Jon.

I would personally take any associated links with a pinch of salt! Last week I heard that having to much tomato sauce on your chips can make you go blind, so where do you draw the line on all these scare stories?

I would worry more about where our food comes from, how much pesticide has been poured on it? We are under more threat from chemicals than anything else, as we consume chemicals daily. I also worry about the unknown effects of plastics, our milk comes in plastic bottles, all the packaging is plastic, we drink out of plastic cups, so there is huge potential for cross contamination. I have a theory that goes like this.
Most of the pollution and damage we are doing to our planet comes from the usage of fossil fuels, this stuff has been locked up within the earth for millions of years, perhaps there is a reason for that, perhaps this stuff is so toxic to life the it is natures way of keeping it out of harms way. Look at how many wars this has caused!!

We keep and hand milk two Nanny goats for the house and we also sell what we have left as well, as my wife and I having spent many years in agriculture are very aware of what is involved in milk production. The goats are browsers and they will pick and choose the herbs out of the hedgerows, which are organic and jam packed of natural goodness and we know where it comes from. Goats milk has also sorted out our youngest, as he has cows milk intolerance, which a lot of people suffer from.

I am not aware of any alternatives to the alli Kelly Kettle, but you are only using it for a matter of minutes to boil water in so I would worry about it, I would worry about where your water comes from and has it got fluoride in it.....................but that’s another story!!! :soapbox:

Wish you well.

Jack.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
I guess you're right, there are so many chemicals around in our food chain now that a little water boiled in an aluminium kettle is not going to do me any harm. The fresh cup of tea while sat in the wilds somewhere, however will do me a power of good.

Right, guess what I'm putting on my Christmas list.

Thanks

Jon

J

Jamie

Hi

I've heard all the stuff about aluminium etc, but as previous people have pointed out, it really is more a question of the 'stuff' you put in it to my mind. Its dangerous to go outside these days, but it doesnt stop us does it!?

I will be carrying on using my kelly kettle until I forget where I last put it!

All the best

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Of course, another factor with aluminium is the fact that the stuff oxidises so very quickly to aluminium oxide - which is hard, protects the underlying aluminium and is insoluable in water.

I'd find other things to be more worried about.

As for goats -

The goats are browsers and they will pick and choose the herbs out of the hedgerows

That's not *exactly* how ours behaved - especially if they were near the yew, and knew you were watching...

Wonderful creatures, but mischief personified!

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Thanks for all the advice chaps. I feel I have now got a perspective on things.

Under the influence of all this advice I am now the owner of a new aluminium one pint Kelly Kettle. Taking it out of the wrappings it seemed too small and cute to get dirty, but I soon pulled myself together and lit a fire in it.
So I now have a, fairly, legitimate reason for wanting to get good at lighting small fires.

Also a thank you to the people at Woodland Organics for a very speedy service. I ordered it on Sunday evening and had it in my hand Tuesday lunchtime. Considering there was a post strike going on over the weekend that is not bad going. Thanks Jack.
http://www.woodlandorganics.com/

signing off with slightly singed eyebrows
Jon

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Nice Rant Jack, :You_Rock_
I go one further and say aviod plastic asmuch as you can!
Surround yourself with organic-sustainable material as whenever possible.
Buy stuff to last. replace it when it is worn out. Buy a diesel car and run it on Vegeoil! Stuff the petrochemical industry and avoid all that tax!
:soapbox:
Ranting Rich

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Roving Rich.

You are absolutley right

Espy.

Walk away from the goats and lay face down on the floor.

Jon....

Thank you very much for your kind words and we are glad you thought it was a good servce.

Best wishes.

Jack.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
:-D

Of course, it was always the ritual at milking time to make sure you had a paper tissue in a (zipped) jacket pocket - the daft beggars would unzip the pocket, fish the tissue out and present you with it. Take the tissue off the goat, put it back in your pocket, zip it up again... And start all over again. Ah well, it kept them quiet.

As for the ducks... Many's the time we had to fish a flattened rat out of the duck pen, where they'd pecked & stomped it to oblivion.

I miss keeping livestock - a lot of work, but well worth the rewards.

Not that this has much to do with Kelly Kettles, mind...

Addendum - you still need to pay duty on biodiesel, otherwise the Chancellor gets upset at you with malice aforethought. Having said that, biodiesel is something I keep meaning to have a go at making for non-road use - it is practically kitchen chemistry, after all...

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Peter-
You're quite correct payment of the relevant duty should be encouraged. This is the only way that Biodiesel will become mainstream and the environmental benefits reaped. Maybe it would even stop the odd war on the way? It still works out consirably cheaper than DinoDiesel
Not quite kitchen chemistry as there are some nasty chemicals involved and alot of unuseable biproduct. The better option appears to be the white spirit + veg oil mix thats not quite biodiesel, or convert the vehicle to run on neat veg oil (heated fuel lines) best of all a combination of the two
Cheers
Rich
(Tree Hugger?)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I'd certainly like to try using the stuff in the 110, but not without taking all appropriate precautions.

Kitchen chemistry - you don't want to *know* the sort of things I regard as sane. I've been known to buy drain cleaner because it was labelled as 98% conc sulphuric - purely for the purposes of stripping galvanising from steel.

Which reminds me, I ran out of citric acid last night descaling the kettle...

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
My plan exactly...
Ideally i'd like the 130 crewcab pickup - can't seem to find one anywhere near my meager budget though.(maybe when they get old and shabby)
So Plan B: 1972 series 3 LWB diesel, preferably nissan 2.5 diesel as favoured by the taxi drivers and seemingly bomb proof.
Tax exempt + classic car status+ cheap insurance (not got a good track record you see...) running on whitespirit + used veg oil.
This should equate to ultra cheap intercontinental transport that i can keep on the road for the next 20 years?
Gotta find a good landy to start with though (already got a good lady), I was going to place an add in the wanted section when i have some money together.
Judging by the car park at the widerness gathering there maybe one or two landrover owners in our midst ? Please don,t blame me for opening that can of worms though...
:roll:
Rich

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
i'm disgusted to hear of some members running their diesel vehicles on anything other than road fuel........... :wink: .........however several taxi drivers in the village use heating oil, which is uncoloured and needs just a small ammount of engine oil to lubricate the fuel pump

one (driving a newish peugeot 406) has four fuel suppliers so nobody thinks its odd him using 2million litres of heating oil to heat his bungalow..... :-D , bloody disgusting :twisted:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Have I been abducted by aliens for sometime?...............since when have Landrovers been putting engines in their 4x4's!

galew

Tenderfoot
I guess you're right, there are so many chemicals around in our food chain now that a little water boiled in an aluminium kettle is not going to do me any harm. The fresh cup of tea while sat in the wilds somewhere, however will do me a power of good.

Right, guess what I'm putting on my Christmas list.

Thanks

Jon
I got one that I would gladly part with, after buying it, I decided it was just too big for what I had in mind, so just setting, never been used. So would like to get most of my money back from it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE