Stave makin :) and a bit of tillering.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Great stuff mate. O think I'll leave the forged finish on them next time. They look a little nicer that way.

They'll certainly bring home dinner! ;)
(if only)

all the best
Andy

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
I'd start with a relatively soft wood. Clear, straight grained. Make it at least 68"-70" long. When you encounter knots leave them proud. I've not done enough to recommend specific woods but in very broad terms, this is my best advice. dwardo or another bowyer are much more experienced and qualified to give you clear guidance. If you'd like to read up I would recommend a three book set titled "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible", Bois d'Arc Press, 1993; ISBN 1-55821-207-8, an excellent reference work. It may be available at your local library.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Longbow is nearly there. Few coats of oil to dry then its time for a handle. Not going to be a traditional ELB but a modern take. I was going to go the whole hog and do proper horn nocks but the weight of them compared to the weight of the bow would just have robbed the bow of cast.
More pictures tomorrow if I manage to get the handle sorted tonight. Nawt like a bit of leather work to pass the time avoiding the orrible TV
IMAG1427_zps3930add0.jpg

IMAG1426_zpsac86d8cf.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The idea was to stop the string biting into the soft yew wood.
At the warbow kind of weights around a 100lb or so the soft yew can apparently start to fail and wear at the nocks where string meets wood. I only say apparently as i have no first hand experience of these weights but know of lots of bowyers who say this isn't the case.
Who knows it could have just been fashion on some lower weight bows and necessary on some super weights. I put the "overlays" on this bow for mostly looks and to help with dinging it about in the woods avoiding tip damage. Good job too its like maneuvering a barge pole at this length, used to much shorter bow. I avoided the "Full horn" nocks rather than overlays mainly due to their physical weight and due to a lack of practice with ELB style nocks.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all. Just a quick update with a picture to show whats on the production line.
Left to right, cherry about to be static recurved, cherry molly, oak character and yew character near finished.

IMAG1609_zpsa41a6a2c.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry mare it's me using two terms for the same thing, snake or character ;-)
The molly is hopefully going to be a mollegabet, 9000 year old design. Stiff outer thin leavers with all the work done on the wider inner limbs.

Last edited:

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Absolutely enthralling thread! I have had my eye on a likely looking piece of ash for a while now,
Dwardo, you have just given me the encouragement to, go and harvest it tomorrow!!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Had some free time so back to the shop.
This is a wych elm stave that i cut and split a while back so it should be safe to reduce it further.
When marking out your stave be sure to follow the grain all the way down the bow, ignore it at your peril!
Once you have made a center line you need to mark out from here to the edge of your bow. I like to start at 2inches all the way down. You could reduce the tips now but its best to leave your options open and see what the wood says. You might want to go to 2.5 inches wide if you are using a lighter wood such as ash.

IMAG1691_zps64aa9d66.jpg

Once happy with the lines the stave is turned on its side and trimmed down with the draw knife. If your lines are right this should be an easy job as the blade will follow the grain. If its much harder something is wrong and your eye is out.

IMAG1692_zpseb34c7f6.jpg

Now its time to reduce the belly further. I like to use my bill-hook for this as it leave a nice flat finish and helps following the grain. Keep the cut close to the handle of the hook so you dont over-strike causing the hooked part of the blade to catch the side of the bow.

IMAG1693_zps500625f8.jpg

Whilst I am doing this lot I have a stave on the stove steaming away. This is a bit of a test fora few reasons. Its a very extreme bend which I usually do with dry heat but lately this has caused a few problems. Its been an age since i used steam and forgot just how much easier it was. 45 minutes boiling away and then its quick as you can to the form and bend in one fluid motion then clamp in place. The other side to the test is the bow is made from cherry which guys keep saying is no good in tension. SOO to make a point this cherry bow will be highly recurved with a static portion, no backing and a decent weight. If it blows i wont say a word, if it works ill be rubbing it in!

IMAG1695_zps193da224.jpg

Will keep you all updated. Will also be doing some finishing work later on a yew character bow that will soon be up for sale or trade. Going to be about 35lbs at 27 which is a real nice target weight.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for posting, nice vice for making the recurves. I should start working on that hazel stave, I reckon it's dry by now.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yew bow? Sale or trade?
Ooooooo

lol yes mate. Have some more steam bending to do today and have to fire up the new frontier stove to burn it in, stop us choking on the new paint fumes in the tent. Luckily I have a floor full of wood shavings that should do the trick. Then a few more grades of sanding on the bow and clean up the nocks. Apply the frist few coats of tru-oil and think about a handle.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Interesting. ..........
I wonder if I can run faster than an arrow from it when lisa finds it.....

Wouldn't fancy my changes out-running an arrow from this one mate ;) Light poundage but spits an arrow.
Maybe a stab-vest and hope she goes for the money shot?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
how long would you say the making time is? once the wood is ready of course.

They look great btw, really cool to see people carrying on the old traditions :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE