Starter cord - looks like a bargain

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Kepis very kindly gave me a length of starter cord yesterday so I can have a go at making my own fire bow. I've had a look on eBay and it's under half the price of 550 paracord (11p a metre rather than 25p), and according to this site, even the 3mm stuff is about the same strength.

I've had a look inside the piece I was given and there are 3 smaller strands which are in turn composed of 3 even smaller strands, so plenty of scope for using the inner stuff if that's your bag.

Aside from the colour (you can have white or white...) is there any good reason for paying a premium for 550? I would have thought it's pretty low stretch too so ideal for guylines/ridgelines

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
550 is rubbish for bow drills, it stretches and frays quickly. Starter cord is brilliant, no stretch and highly abrasion resistant - makes great bow drills. Otherwise leather cord is a good natural option.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
550 cord is "nice", but it's far from essential IMO. I use it for some things, eg it makes very nice lanyards, zipper pulls boot laces, tarp guys etc, but I use other, usually cheaper, stuff like poundland cord, garden twine & starter cord for lots of other jobs.

Hanks of 550 are great for looking at and drooling!

Dave

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I suppose paracord became fashionable because it's a nice size, pretty strong, and has that military chic. However, it is designed for parachutes and thus quite stretchy to absorb the shock of deployment. It's just a pity starter cord doesn't come in different colours

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Different applications require different cords for an optimal effect.

Paracord is designed specifically for parachutes, it works okay for most things but it isn't needed.

Paracord has a breaking strengh of 550lbs when used on a parachute, as soon as you put a knot in it, it has a breaking strengh of nearer 200lbs,

Poundland paracord is probably just as strong as real paracord.

It's a fashion item. Cheap cord is just as good.

It's personal preference though.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Different applications require different cords for an optimal effect.

Paracord is designed specifically for parachutes, it works okay for most things but it isn't needed.

Paracord has a breaking strengh of 550lbs when used on a parachute, as soon as you put a knot in it, it has a breaking strengh of nearer 200lbs,

Poundland paracord is probably just as strong as real paracord.

It's a fashion item. Cheap cord is just as good.

It's personal preference though.

no it isnt.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I use pull cord for bowdrills but find it pretty stiff stuff for most uses. I can't buy it cheap here unless I go with an entire roll of it. If you don't like the color you can color it with a black Sharpie and it turns a dark gray.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
It would require one heck of a pull to break paracord, you can break it with 100lbs pull on some lashing knots.

Poundland paracord is more than adequate.

The problem with paracord is bulk, stretch, cost and weight. If starter cord is cheaper then it's just as good.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I like paracord for general purpose applications. I'm horrified when I see people using a length of it to tie up a hammock. I had an argument with a guy over it once. He said if it was good enough to rig a parachute it was good enough to hold up his hammock, he was using two strands bearing all the weight not dozens (?) like parachute shroud lines. There is a large difference between a static load strain and the momentary spike of a sudden jolt or shock on a rope. This is a smart board, I'm sure someone will post the correct formula, but a load well within the static breaking strain of a cord can snap it if dropped from even a modest distance.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
People rave about Paracord but I think its fairly crap actually.
Oh, its green... And?

If I'm doing something that really needs good strength I tend to use climbers accessory cord but I do know that pullcords pretty good stuff also.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like paracord for general purpose applications. I'm horrified when I see people using a length of it to tie up a hammock. I had an argument with a guy over it once. He said if it was good enough to rig a parachute it was good enough to hold up his hammock, he was using two strands bearing all the weight not dozens (?) like parachute shroud lines. There is a large difference between a static load strain and the momentary spike of a sudden jolt or shock on a rope.

I saw a hammock package recently from one of the well outdoors companies over here, luckily somebody was testing it for them and they weren't in production yet, they'd supplied a paracord sling with a series of knots in it for the suspension. The type you wrap around the tree and then clip a carabiner onto it, no idea what sort of tension is put on all those knots but it can't be a good idea. It was going to be fed back to the manufacturers so we'll see if they listen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE