Starter Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I like both the Clipper and the Mora.
I use a stainless clipper everyday as my work knife and a carbon Mora when im cleaning rabbits because it's so easy to clean.

I find both become uncomfortable for carving / woodwork after a short period of time so i added a third cheap knife ,a K J Erijsson.

432_3286_1.jpg

432_3288_1.jpg

Pretty much a carbon clipper with a much more comfortable handle.
It's a soft rubber handle that is grippy and doesn't cause "hot spots" with sustained use.

The sheaths are at best functional but for budget knives they are fine.
A leather sheath is a nice project and i make mine to accept all 3 so i have 1 sheath for 3 knives and I carry the one most suited to the task in hand.

Picture024.jpg

Picture020.jpg

But to be honest i'd like kydex sheaths for mine because i tend to keep them for really dirty / rough work where i don't want to use a more expensive knife.

Another knife worth considering that falls between these and an F1 is a Helle Eggen.
These are great value

453_5358_1.jpg

Triple laminated stainless with a chunky curly birch handle that's warm to touch and can be shaped if required with some sandpaper to suit your hand.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rapidboy said:
They look like Marshalls Driveline 50s in Brindle, you want to get some kiln dried sand in there, or they will start to wander mate.
Excellent advice btw and nice sheafs, as always........

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Oooohhhhhh, like that sheath very muchly :)

Don't suppose you have the pattern for that do you? ;)

I'll take a look at the KJ but as lovely as the Helle Eggen looks its price puts it one stage ahead of where I am I think.

Thanks for the advice :D

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Jon Pickett said:
They look like Marshalls Driveline 50s in Brindle, you want to get some kiln dried sand in there, or they will start to wander mate.

:lmao:
They aren't mine, i took the pic's at work and i can tell you that's the least of their worries, new building and it leaks like a sieve :rolleyes:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
synoptic said:
I'll take a look at the KJ but as lovely as the Helle Eggen looks its price puts it one stage ahead of where I am I think.

Absolutely no need to spend mor eon a knife, any of the cheaper knives mentioned will do everything you need.
Expensive knives are as much about prid eof ownership as anything else.
I have many expensive production and custom knives and i still use a Frosts Clipper everyday because it's a great working knife.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I can sure recommend the Frost and Eriksson knives as well. The quality for the price is really a value.
As for the F-1, from what I know, they are what is called a double bevel or compound bevel design. Which means the actual sharp edge is ground at an angle of about 20 to 25 degrees and is very small in relation to the blade. That is fine, and most modern knives are made this way, like a SAK for example. They come sharp and are great until you need to resharpen it. That can be tricky. In all the years I have owned knives and all the different sharpeners I have bought and tried, I still find it real hard to get a razor sharp edge on this type knife.
On the other side, the Moras use the Scandavian or Norwiegen or sword grind which is a single, wide bevel. They are so easy to sharpen and so easy to maintain, it is really an addictive design.
I usually carry a Clipper stainless or High-Carbon in my pack when I don't really plan to use a knife much, reason is I can count on the Mora and it is really very light, lighter than most lock blade folders.
My favorite knife is a Stewart Marsh custom made like the RM Woodlore, unfortunately they are costly and not a recommended starter knife. Besides, at my age, I make too much money and have little to spend it on :)
Get a good Mora and you may just never buy another knife! Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE