Started on a pipe

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you can source a block of soapstone you can make up a "sleeve" for the bowl quite simply, and that stuff smokes nicely from the get-go and lasts extremely well - some of the old makers used to do this on production pipes years ago, and I've seen it done on quality pipes as a re-furbishment.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I will keep a look out for a piece the right size to cut down.

i was wondering if there was any sort of clay that wasn't toxic or impart any taste to line it with.

Since the amber stem is s fragile anyway I need to make a case before I take it out.

atb

tom

Last edited:

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Re increasing the thickness of the bowl:

I have read on a pipe smoker's forum that this can be done but its a bit of a hassle! Apparently you use the tobacco ash and mix it with water into a cement-like mix (consistency of smooth peanut butter - so not much water). You then paint this on the inside of the bowl and allow each layer to thoroughly dry before adding the next one. This can also be used to fix any holes that might develop in the 'cake' later.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That looks nice! I've made several over the years, mostly out of apple and plumb wood with quick made stems from elder as they have a hollow core (well, full of pith but easy enough to drive out).

I always fancied one of those corn cob pipes and had a look at them and had a go at knocking one up. This was years ago mind, and was made from a pet shop dried corn! lol

Smoked alright though, not as well as my wooden bowls and they apparantly need chucking shortly after they carbon up enough..

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
imagejpg1_zpsebee9cca.jpg

top work mate,really impressed

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the input folks! What made it for me was finding the amber stem in a low end antique shop and the old dear rounding the price down to I think it was £1.80.

Atb

tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely looking pipe. (The amber stem was a lucky find and sets it off beautifully.) Making me hanker after getting a pipe again. Used to like it when I wandered the woods at work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE