Started myself my first Kuksa!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I started a kuksa today, it's my first one and now my hands know the meaning of hard work!!:D

100_4129.jpg

100_4128.jpg

100_4127.jpg

I have to leave it now for 4 days as I am back in work so hopefully I'll get it finished sometime next week.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looking good so far Greg, see the gloves are still about... taking no chances this time:rolleyes: , was just wondering what timber you were using?

Cheers
Goatboy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Looks like you have done a lovely clean job on the hollowing with the hook, good work.

I would be slightly worried that it looks like you have used the whole of the branch rather than splitting it in half to start, I may be wrong but it looks like the centre of the tree runs through the bottom of the bowl looking in the second picture. Occasionally you can be lucky and get away with the centre in the work but often it is where cracks start whether during drying or in use. Always safer to start by splitting the log in half then axing away the central growth rings, of course that means you have to start with a bigger log.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Good point Robin, and wish that someone had told me that a couple of weeks ago - i think thats why my handle split, the centre of my log was the 'top' of the container and so had the tightest rings....

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ummm I'll have too keep an eye on that! I did split the wood but obviously through inexperience I may have made a bodge! I'll have to wait and see!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE