Started carving a chess set.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Nowt special but i always wanted a set i made myself,i love whittlin so i started recent ly,so far ive only managed a king,knight and 2 rooks.They're all carved from off cuts of hazel from my walking stick making and stand at around 3 inches tall.

DSC03810.jpg

thanks for looking.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That's a great start, I'm winding myself up to carve the youngest a hnefatafl set to go with the board I've scratched out on a foot square stone tile that was left over from them doing the fire place. At the moment he 's using black and white pebbles picked up off the beach.

you'll probably be finished before I start!

atb

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very good Fishfish :D

It'll be interesting to see the finished set :cool:

I'm carving n gauge stuff just now, but from plaster......the mess is unbelievable :sigh:

M

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
That's a really good idea, I may have to put this on the list of thing to carve,
Please post pic when u have completed it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have to say the king is pretty spiffy looking - would love to see this thread develop with pictures of the various pieces....and something for scale too!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That is certainly going to be an undertaking fish. I bet you are goign to turn the pawns though ;)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Great start! Are you gonna use a dark wood for t'other side or stain the Hazel?

Steve

thanks steve that was my plan.

That is certainly going to be an undertaking fish. I bet you are goign to turn the pawns though

nope i will carve them individually.and a small task it aint!

I have to say the king is pretty spiffy looking - would love to see this thread develop with pictures of the various pieces....and something for scale too!

thanks red,i will update as i complete each piece,will post pics of the rest ive done tomorrow.

Very good Fishfish

It'll be interesting to see the finished set

I'm carving n gauge stuff just now, but from plaster......the mess is unbelievable

M

i made a hell of a mess when i carved an owl from a piece of chalk,mrs fish wasnt very happy......

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE