Started building a tiny earth-sheltered cabin.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Been working on this for about a month so far. Dug into the south side of a hill, about 53 feet from the shore of a very scenic pond. Planted 6"x6" corner poles, and dug drainage trenches to be filled with rocks. The digging hasn't been too bad except for chopping through roots. Carrying the lumber to the site is wearing me out, though. I might try towing the next load by canoe.

IMG_3093.jpg

Also have been digging out a spring about 50 yards away. Tomorrow I'll try to line it with pre-fab concrete rings. I've borrowed a tractor to lift them and am hoping I can drive it there without getting stuck. I'm also somewhat concerned about rolling it over.

IMG_3068.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looking good :D

Lucky man, are you intending to use it as a hunting shelter ? or just a place to chill out ?

cheers,
Toddy

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
Looks like it's going to be a nice little getaway. are you going to cover it over with earth? i'd be surprised if you can get a tractor stuck! i've been on some steep hillsides in one and never felt like it was going to roll. keep us upto date on your build.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
... are you intending to use it as a hunting shelter ? or just a place to chill out ?...

Hunting, fishing, canoeing, boiling maple sap, reading, and just plain escaping. I've seen deer, bear, moose, ducks, mink, and most recently a flock of turkeys on the property, and have caught yellow perch, horned pout (bullhead catfish) and pickerel in the pond. There area quite a few sugar maples uphill from the cabin, I'll run a sap line right down to it. I already keep a canoe chained to a tree on the shore.

... Love to see some pic's of the views of the lake...

Here's the view from what will be the front:

IMG_1444.jpg

... are you going to cover it over with earth?

It'll have a sod roof, and be completely bermed on the north side, partially on the others.

... i'd be surprised if you can get a tractor stuck! i've been on some steep hillsides in one and never felt like it was going to roll....

I tried to get one in there when I first started digging. Felt like it was right on the edge of rolling over more than once. Then got it stuck up to it's axles. Took two of us most of a day to get it out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd love to have somewhere I could build something like that, never to old to build dens in my book.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks great :)

Pot bellied stove in the hut I hope? The insulation should be great so I'm guessing a small one!

Red

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
That's a great dane you have there isn't it?
Oh and looks like the kid is being alot of help....
Lucky you.

Next Bushcraft Expedition to yours then.....?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE