Star Trek

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
K, guys, this is turning from a fun thread about Sci-Fi into a thread about women, I can see how we got here but this will be a good time to stop and get back to the sci-fi before people start posting stuff that causes some issues.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I like nearly all the Sci-Fi stuff, always have, enjoyed all the Star Trek, most of the Star Wars (thought the last 3 were a bit lame) Firefly should never have been pulled, watched all the babylon 5's, mostly enjoyed them, I have to say i've not followed the Dr Who's for years but that's probably more to do with us not having a TV, we just use netflix. Thinking about it there's loads of sci-fi stuff, too much to list, as I said, for the most part I enjoy it all.

I like fantasy as well but they don't seem to be as good at getting that good as they are sci-fi

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's funny really, my youngest daughter loves Dr Who yet dismisses other sci-fi as not worth watching. I'm like that with Dr Who. It's too confusing with no start beginning and end plot line... at least to me it seemed that way.

When X-files first came out I would watch it and enjoy it it, yet after a time I found myself getting frustrated by the shows as there was no conclusion, it felt like the episode ended 10 minutes too early, soon it nose-dived into a sci-fi soap and I lost interest. I mean how many times did Scully see an event beyond any rational explanation and yet would still call Mulder a conspiracy theorist. (shakes head in despair.)

Twilight zone was mentioned earlier and I am proud to say I have a few of those on DVD after the series reissued on DVD over here in France. I nabbed a few at a bootfair last year. I still enjoy watching some of those old classic feature films like Forbidden Planet, Creature from the Black Lagoon, When Worlds Collide. I've got some of these on DVD too.

Getting back to Star trek though, there was something about Next Gen that made it more believable over the Original Series. Maybe you could see the characters had their faults and failings, yet in the OS they were steely jawed supermen. One of the most profound episodes of Next Gen that I saw was the one when Picard's mind was taken over by some sort of probe and he lived an entire lifetime in an hour, finally waking up on the deck and finding he was able to play the flute that was eventually found inside the probe. It was a beautiful episode that one, and really hit home to me on so many levels. (just found it on youtube, it was called "Inner Light") In comparison the OS series was candyfloss when it came to pathos. I like my Sci-fi to be clever as well as entertaining.

PS Sorry Tony, guilty as charged.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Space 1999

1999-space-1999-16132407-686-541.jpg

Loved this series and UFO, Gerry Anderson at his best. The effects were pants, but hey, this was 70-71, and small budget. It was another 7-8 years till Spielbergs blockbusters.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Some of those early sci-fi shows, including star trek, were ground-breaking. Women in senior roles (the above character was the science officer on the lunar base). Paved the way for better casting, less stereotyping. Just post the cold war era, Star Trek had a character with a russian accent and name who was the chief pilot of the starship.

I notice nobody has mentioned Blakes7. Maybe we shouldn't discuss that.

Biker

Space 1999

View attachment 17226

Loved this series and UFO, Gerry Anderson at his best. The effects were pants, but hey, this was 70-71, and small budget. It was another 7-8 years till Spielbergs blockbusters.

I liked her despite her dodgy Engleburk Humperdink sideburns.

I watched Blakes 7 but couldn't decide whether it was good or not. At the time it seemed OK but I haven't had the nerve to watch any of it on youtube.

Rik posted earlier those puppet shows like Fireball XL5. As a growing kid my favourite was always ...

[video=youtube;BQh5uoFGeHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQh5uoFGeHQ[/video]

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Captain Scarlet never convinced me, partly because you knew he always survived, and partly because if you watch episode 1, the Mysterons, far from being the bad guys, were actually attacked without provocation. As a result I always wanted them to win.

Biker

Captain Scarlet never convinced me, partly because you knew he always survived, and partly because if you watch episode 1, the Mysterons, far from being the bad guys, were actually attacked without provocation. As a result I always wanted them to win.

Y'know I only recently found that fact out.

I think it was to hardware and equipment on Capt Scarlett that I liked so much. The Angels jets etc Same as UFO with the SHADO mobile and the submarine, everything looked futuristic back in the early 70's. But as someone pointed out the other week about 2001 Kubrick seemed to have nailed the future of technology with details such as flat screen tablets etc, sadly the same cannot be said for UFO with their conventional CRT screens. Space 1999 had the budget for some decent kit too, but as I recall Blakes 7 had access to a quarry every other weekend.

Last edited:

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
Stargate was another favourite of mine though. The only thing that annoyed me about that show is the fact that they would go another world (with the chance of never coming back) without even a daysack of kit to keep them going. .

Au contraire....
packs_zpse413db3b.jpg

I love Stargate but just the original SG1 series, never got into Atlantis and Stargate Universe just annoys me.

Have to admit to being a Trekkie too! :rolleyes:

Apr 13, 2013
Wales
This thread has brought back some happy memories for me, I think my fav was Space 1999. I used to have two of the Eagles made by 'Dinky' but they got lost in a house move. Shame as they are worth a few bob now! :(

2668072638_c311c5b0d6_z.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE