Stainless Steel Lunchbox - Elephant Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
if this was air tight I'd buy one now.

I wonder if a line of silicon seam sealant around the inner edge of the lid would do it. It might improve the seal just enough to do the job... Or is there a self-adhesive silicon tape available anywhere?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have and use several "East Indian" stainless steel meal kits. Two sizes of round nesting tins with lids and locking hinged handles.
Sorry, but I can never recall the name for them. They are the best I've found. Plan B would be a Sudbury (Ontario) Miner's lunch box =
heavy riveted aluminum and a hinged lid big enough for an Alladin thermos bottle.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I saw something that took me back to the 70s last week, a bloke going off for a early shift with his snap swinging in yesterday's loaf of bread bag. You could tell who's wife was dieting by if they were using a " Nimble " bag....

atb

tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I saw something that took me back to the 70s last week, a bloke going off for a early shift with his snap swinging in yesterday's loaf of bread bag. You could tell who's wife was dieting by if they were using a " Nimble " bag....

atb

tom

Or Slimcea. Proper bread was Mothers Pride :)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I wonder if a line of silicon seam sealant around the inner edge of the lid would do it. It might improve the seal just enough to do the job... Or is there a self-adhesive silicon tape available anywhere?

Then it would be a really big tabacco tin.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Zebra make some nice stacking tiffin tins, 10, 12 and 14 cm win 1, 2, 3, and 4 layer sets.
I can pick them up at the local supermarkets fairly cheaply.
Some come with snap on plastic lids too
Very popular with the compound staff over here.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Purina is the food of choice Ian..

As Robson says, the one's that can hold a flask are good, Stanley do them but they are expensive.

Rob

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I'll have to confess to not having looked for anything elsewhere, as I mentioned, it's a friend of mine starting the venture and I thought it was a great product and wanted to help get the word out for her crowdfunder. A key feature of the Elephant box I believe is that it is taller and will take an apple, as an example.

With regards to the ethics, I know my friend is pretty passionate about that sort of thing. She has family in India and travels there regularly. The factory producing the boxes is a small one that she chose for the way in which it is owned and operated. Stainless steel is fully recyclable and indeed a significant proportion of new steel now comes from recycled sources.

Whichever way you feel about the boxes, I'm pleased at the interest it's generated :)

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE