Stainless Steel Lunchbox - Elephant Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Fancy an ethically sourced stainless steel lunchbox?

A friend of mine (my only connection) is running a crowdfunder to start a business selling them, which also means getting one at a great discount. Ideal for the rough and tumble of the outdoors and no nasty plastic :)

DSCF3667.7698727192bb.JPG

http://www.elephantbox.co.uk

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/elephant-box?fb_ref=Default

Scoops

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good idea , too much plastic in the world. And if you watch 'The Island' most of it seems to wash up on desert Island beaches....

Good investment in something that will last many years.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
It is a good idea but I am not very happy that they do not mention how much of the unit costs go to the people who are making them. It may be sustainable but how is it ethical????

There is a FAQ but no detail about what they cost etc.
" All our tins and containers are currently manufactured by one factory in India that we have strong personal relations with, this means that we can ensure that our ethical policy and labour standards can be met."

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
We also had metal snap tins when the coal mines were open, nothing new and more energy needed to produce the stainless than that to recycle most recyclable plastics. More of a job creation than a Eco product.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
We also had metal snap tins when the coal mines were open, nothing new and more energy needed to produce the stainless than that to recycle most recyclable plastics.

PET bottles can be recycled, but what about all the other stuff? Burned if not in a landfill is my bet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like a cracking product to me, really like the idea as I hate plastic. Make a very handy improvised billy too!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Having looked on ebay UK alone, there are several similar stainless lunch boxes for sale. Some with suitable handles to aid with cooking. Less than £7 and free shipping. Either the Elephant Box market research and design took many years. Or their product research was only high street based. Dragons Den says "we won't invest" for those who don't like plastic, how about a group buy?

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Good idea strengh/durability wise but way over priced
http://www.onegreenbottle.com/stainless-steel-lunchbox

The plastic/aluminum thing might make sense for hot foods or liquids, but nearly everything you buy food wise is wrapped/stored in plastic/aluminum somewhere along the way. Taking it out of a bit of plastic or aluminum and putting it in a stainless box for a couple of hours isn't going to make any difference. Would take a wild stab in the dark and say that that bread, butter/cheese, lettuce and ham that sandwich is made of came out of plastic packaging. Those grapes/banana/cookie probably come out a plastic bag/pallet. Crisps are in a plastic/foil packet. Might make sense if you grow/make/hunt all your own food or if you buy organic/farmers produce in paper bags. I'd be more worried about the water coming out your tap or the rat poison you brush your teeth with everyday tbh

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The thing that I like about these Elephant boxes is the shape and dimensions: no wonky curves or ridges sticking out and a useful capacity for a decent lunch/series of snacks.

It would be good to know how much of the money actually goes to the folk making them and, in a less important way, what type of stainless steel they're made from.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Would take a wild stab in the dark and say that that bread, butter/cheese, lettuce and ham that sandwich is made of came out of plastic packaging.

Not in my house it wouldnt. Ultimately my preference for steel is its longevity in use over plastic rather than for any perceived health reasons. I would suspect a well made steel box should outlast several plastic ones.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
My biggest issue, OK second biggest because the elephant is too expensive, is that its not airtight, thats the joy of Tupperwear and its copies.......no leaks, no smells, no stale nammet.....

Paul

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Not in my house it wouldnt. Ultimately my preference for steel is its longevity in use over plastic rather than for any perceived health reasons. I would suspect a well made steel box should outlast several plastic ones.

That wasn't directed at you red. I'm sure you wouldn't when you have that lovely homestead of yours. It was just the first thing that came to mind regarding plastic packaging and plastic containers, health and environmentally wise. I agree with you on the durability/longevity of a stainless box.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Well its just the cure to no known problem isnt it.....a different marketing spin with a dash of ethics thrown in

If you really want to be kind to the planet, re-use stuff thats already been made

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE