SS wire and brass ferrules - sources

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Can anybody please tell me a good place to get these? Went to my local B&Q yesterday and had no luck. Online searches only showed up trade/wholesales and got tired of sifting through all that.
Replacing my bail on zebra billy.

Any help most appreciated.
:)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you ever want solid stainless wire (as oppsed to the braided stuff you'll get with brake cables) look in the Yellow Pages for a local 'Fabricator and Welder'.
Stainless welding wire comes in a variety of thicknesses and is amazingly useful stuff or all sorts of projects.
A professional using it will normally buy it in by the box-load. My local place will let me have a handful of rods (almost a meter long each) for whatever I feel like putting in the charity Lifeboat on his office counter :)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
any other ideas for Brass plates for handle making - i found a metal warehouse with some brass ofcuts but the best he could do was £15 for a 8x4 approx 3 mm piece.
I want to try having some pre made plates to be the first part to put onto the tang and fit directly under the blase (yes i cant remember the right name!) partly to make showing other people easier and partly cos id like to try it at the moment i use antler or bufallo but its time consuming to get a nice fit.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
any other ideas for Brass plates for handle making - i found a metal warehouse with some brass ofcuts but the best he could do was £15 for a 8x4 approx 3 mm piece.
I want to try having some pre made plates to be the first part to put onto the tang and fit directly under the blase (yes i cant remember the right name!) partly to make showing other people easier and partly cos id like to try it at the moment i use antler or bufallo but its time consuming to get a nice fit.

Try down your local scrap merchants. I picked up a piece of 4mm brass about 400mm x 300mm for a five. It even had the protective film still in place on one side :)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
A good source of brass sheet are finger plates for doors, y'know the bit you push.You can get some bargains on the bay too.I get brass ferrules from Yandles in Martock, somerset, or Penny farthing tools in Sailsbury.And Brisa for pre-made knife ferrule parts.(for the tang)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If you ever want solid stainless wire (as oppsed to the braided stuff you'll get with brake cables) look in the Yellow Pages for a local 'Fabricator and Welder'.
Stainless welding wire comes in a variety of thicknesses and is amazingly useful stuff or all sorts of projects.
A professional using it will normally buy it in by the box-load. My local place will let me have a handful of rods (almost a meter long each) for whatever I feel like putting in the charity Lifeboat on his office counter :)

Its worth noting that stainless MIG welding wire is supplied "Half Hard" and if you twist it too tight it work hardens more and breaks (I found this out using it as lockwire on one of my motorbikes) but if you anneal it by either chucking it on a fire or heating to red and allowing to cool naturally its a lot better to use.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
old sparklers from bonfire night once cooled sit on the floor and roll around with your foot that gets all the coating off i have found these perfect for billy handles very cheap too ;)

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Brake cables from your local bike shop. For the ferrules chop up an eletrical connector block for the individual connectors. Tighten up nice and tight then file the screw heads off so they're flush. :)

my billy should be delivered tomorrow and i've got an old bike and electrical connector blocks in my garage. awesome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE