srook/hook knives - advise me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I'm looking to get myself a knife for carving spoons and the like, and Mora have three different blades, I wonder if someone could advise which is better at what?!?

frost 162
frost162.JPG

frost 163
frost163.JPG

frost 164
frost164.JPG

thanks

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
What Bert said.

The 162 is usefull, but being double edged it takes a bit of getting used to as the technique is a bit different - ie, don't push the back of the blade with your thumb. They all take a bit of time to put a reallt good edge on. Del Stubbs has a nice video on youtube showing the stropping technique.

Dave

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Might be a little off topic - but i started with a 164 - found it a little clumsy to use and a bit of a pain to sharpen (my technique no doubt) so tried a really cheap gouge (faithfull although become more like faithless since some are good tools others are awful).

I find the gouge is so much easier to use and to transport about, just my thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE