Squirrles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silas

Nov 23, 2003
Staffordshire
Yeah.. 'ave a go.. it's great fun.

I don't do much now as I have a shoulder injury ( Not archery related)

Don't fall into the "My bow has a heavier draw weight than your bow" trap. Pull what you are comfortable with and no more otherwise not only will you tire easily, your accuracy will suffer horrendously which will demotivate you and, more seriously, you have a real risk of injury. Beauty of longbows is that you can overbow yourself, but don't need to full draw them. Good choice.

Silas

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Keith,

The law you are looking for is "The Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981" Section 5 and 11

http://212.187.155.84/wnv/Subdirect..._Contents/LegislationUKContents/L_UK_0002.htm

Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild animals

11. -(l) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person-

(a) sets in position any self-locking snare which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal coming into contact therewith;

(b) uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal any self-locking snare, whether or not of such a nature or so placed as aforesaid, any bow or cross-bow or any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm;

(c) uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal, any live mammal or bird whatever; or

(d) knowingly causes or permits to be done an act which is mentioned in the foregoing provisions of this section,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
clcuckow said:
(a) sets in position any self-locking snare which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal coming into contact therewith;

Now - what exactly constitutes a self-locking snare?
If I make my snare, but double up the loop around the main wire, is that a self-locker?

(c) uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal, any live mammal or bird whatever; or

There are - as usual - exceptions. Larson (or is it Larsen, I can never remember) traps involve the use of a calling bird to trap magpies in the other half. The calling bird has to be treated according to all sorts of humane dictats, but otherwise, this is covered by the DEFRA licence (full title eludes me just now).

Yay.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
clcuckow said:
Keith,

The law you are looking for is "The Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981" Section 5 and 11

http://212.187.155.84/wnv/Subdirect..._Contents/LegislationUKContents/L_UK_0002.htm

Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild animals

11. -(l) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person-

(b) uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal any self-locking snare, whether or not of such a nature or so placed as aforesaid, any bow or cross-bow or any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm;

(d) knowingly causes or permits to be done an act which is mentioned in the foregoing provisions of this section,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

Thanks for that!

I've not read the whole of the text, yet (just the part you posted), but it looks exactly like what I needed to read.

But, it looks like I had hearsay tittle-tattle back in 1985, from somebody who was thinking that "Sections 9(1), (2) and (4), 11(1) and (2) and 13(1) do not apply to anything done... (h) for the purpose of preventing serious damage to livestock, ... or any other form of property ...
if it is done under and in accordance with the terms of a licence granted by the appropriate authority."
Thus, coypu being vermin, damaging property, a "licence" may be obtained from some authority, giving an exemption sections 5 and 11 which specifically mention that bows may not be used.

Decoys are mentioned, too, as being naughty. There are certainly some big differences in hunting techniques between the UK and France! Here, live ducks (and other birds) are often used to lure other game near the hunter.

Keith.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Now - what exactly constitutes a self-locking snare?
If I make my snare, but double up the loop around the main wire, is that a self-locker?
A self locking snare is one that is not free running. The snare must be able to be open and closed freely.

Ed

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I was reading the law for air weapons the other day, and apparently, trespasing with an air weapon gets you a life sentence :-?. Surely not.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Ed said:
A self locking snare is one that is not free running. The snare must be able to be open and closed freely.

That would seem to suggest that I *am* referring to a self-locker - once it tightens, it won't loosen easily.

Trespassing with an air rifle is armed trespass, BTW - i.e. no different in the eyes of the law to wandering around with a firearm where you shouldn't be. I wouldn't recommend it, especially not in today's climate of stupidity.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Ducks, Geese and pigeons are all hunted using decoys- in the UK. I wonder if the law above does not apply to fowl? and for that matter vermin??
Rich

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I think it means using live animals and birds as decoys. Because you can buy all manner of different plastic ones. I've used plastic Woodpigeons in the backyard with some small success (little devils soon wise up).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE