squirell gutting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
hey i just wanted a few tips on how to gut a squirrel, ive never done it and also if you could tell me wat parts you eat, i think its just the back legs and the back straps, thanks

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Hmm...Squirrel advice?! If you want my honest opinion I would say don’t bother. Maybe its just Welsh squirrels but all the ones I’ve tried have been really tough to skin! Only quite young ones seemed any easier. Apart from that, I’ve put a lot into different recipes, (all of them….though there’s not much on them so maybe that’s where the advice you heard for part eating comes from) and they always turned out pretty bland at best and tough and unpleasant at worst! And before you start casting aspersions on my cooking skills I gave some to my old dear and she fared no better despite being a Delia Smith on her bad days so there! :p As for gutting that is easy enough and not really different from rabbits etc. so just take the normal care and everything should be fine. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, if you really want to do this mattw,

I use a Coldsteel Ti-Lite for this job. Pinch the belly skin and make sure you get it away from the gut and covering. Pull skin up between finger and thumb of left hand and insert knife tip cutting toward head (so blade is uppermost - you knife shoulld be SHARP). Push towards chin.

Having completed vertical incision, remove all limbs at the "elbow / knee", by pull / twist motion to disengage and then cut through tendons.

Remove head above shoulder line.

You can now insert your thumbs between flesh and skin and work the skin off and over the limbs. You will need to use a kinfe tip to cut around the anus.

You should now carefully remove the guts. I do this in a "spatchcock" manne by splitting upwards through the breast bone and then scraping the lot out with an index finger.

HTH

Red

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Squirrel are easy to gut becasue the bones are so thin they cut easily.
I just got a pair of scissors and cut from anus to throat - straight through the rib cage, and pull everything out in one go.
You then have a clean carcass to skin which can be a bit fidley but treat in the same way as a rabbit and you wont go far wrong.

Cheers

mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I definitely would go with the Mr. Squacks route. You don't want to gut your squirrel until after you've pulled the hide off.

However, doing it like Mr. Squacks does it is only easy if the body is still nice and warm so you need to do it immediately. Personally, I frequently use a homemade gambrel, but I still pull the hide off like Mr. Squacks. The gambrel just holds the squirrel better than stepping on it's tail. :)

squirrelcleaning2.jpg

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nice one Hoodoo!

I keep one of these in my pocket or pack at all times: http://www.gamecalls.net/products/Haydel_s_Squirrel_Skinner-559-95.html

Shot two at the weekend after an aborted fox calling session. The .22 Hornet, loaded with a 35g balsitic tip bullet, does the guting for you!

I really rate the meat but prep’ is a complete pain. I recall my wife spending over two hours removing meat from the bone of some 25 of the little blighters for a dinner party.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE