Climbing a mountain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There used to be a website for hill lists. Now possibly an app for it. Back then you signed up to the website and could see a wide variety of hill lists that you could tick off.

The benefit of that site was that it had lists of all categories and ticklists of mountains and hills. One that might suit collates hills that have the furthest distance between it and a higher hill. I think it's something like that, a measure of the prominence of a mountain compared to its neighbours. For example helvellyn might have a high figure but Catstycam being a hill off the side of helvellyn is very small being the distance to the col between them or to the summit of helvellyn. Helvellyn might be distance to Skiddaw or Scafell.

This prominence figure might be a good measure to find a hill to climb. Snaefell has a high figure being the highest mountain on IoM with next highest on mainland UK.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its the highest on the IOM, yes.

But, approaching on the ferry, it is not one that catches the eye.

You only know it because its the one with the Telly mast on top.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
My favourite is Blencathra in The Lakes. Look it up ;)
Actually that’s a good starter. Pretty accessible with a choice of routes. Hostel and bothy nearby. I have happy memories of work parties at both.
As well as curious looks from walkers when having a snack on the top of Skiddaw carrying a ruck frame of paint and red wine. Honestly it was for the warden! ;)

Reactions: mikehill

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I definitely have to start local to the UK before I'll venture for something bigger and meaner abroad. Very interested in 'Patagonia' as an area, that was one of the options for Dec/Jan just gone.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Its the highest on the IOM, yes.

But, approaching on the ferry, it is not one that catches the eye.

You only know it because its the one with the Telly mast on top.
But in terms of prominence, which in hillbagging circles has a specific meaning and calculation, it is likely to "score" well.

I think prominence is a way of defining the likelihood of getting a good view from a particular mountain. If the OP looks into that he might find some surprising mountains to build his experience on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE