Spyderco BCUK Bushcrafter REDUCED

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Drat! I knew I should have waited for the price to drop!

I've used mine a bit. I like all of it - very 'easy' to use, great handle shape and so on - but I hate the sheath. It is ugly and actuallu not that practical to use. I think I need someone to make another for me (I don't have the skill, time or patience!). Any volunteers? Suggestions?

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Thanks for telling about this offer, I just ordered one and have it delivered at a friend in the US who I'll probably meet in May ;)
Now hopefully it will have some decent figuring and not to big cracks. ;)

Cheers,

Bagheera

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I've used mine a bit. I like all of it - very 'easy' to use, great handle shape and so on - but I hate the sheath. It is ugly and actuallu not that practical to use. I think I need someone to make another for me (I don't have the skill, time or patience!). Any volunteers? Suggestions?

Same for me when mine turns up. I think someone with a bit of skill could make some dosh off us lot when we all want new sheaths

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Is the BCUK branding surface applied or, as per A Wood's signature, stamped/etched?

Put another way can you feel it?

Cheers

Last edited:

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow
Ordered mine too!
Gotta agree with Stew, if the handle is anything like my Claycomb then this is an out and out bargain for a knife with the best handle shape I've had the pleasure of owning!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
That was going to be my next question!
Cheers Martyn.
Chris.

Yeah, superglue sounds a bit Heath Robinson, but it's used by many of the top custom makers. It makes for a very tough and durable finish.

For filling in cracks like this, you will need the really runny/watery stuff (a lot of superglues have added thickener to make them more manageable, avoid this type). Drizzle a little on the crack and let it "wick" into the crack. Let it dry - if necessary, smooth out any runs while it's still wet by rubbing with a finger covered in clingfilm (this minimizes sanding off). Build it up using several thin coats with a light sanding in between each coat. Keep adding superglue untill the cracks are fully filled and there is some glue overlapping the area filled. Then gently sand back down using progressively finer grades of wet and dry paper. You are not trying to re-shape the handle, just take the glue down to a fine and flush finish. When the glue-fill is flush with the wood, use the finest grade paper, followed by a buff with some wax polish. The crack may be visible still, but it'll be well sealed, it'll look quite nice, you wont be able to feel it and the finish will be tough and durable. You can coat the whole handle if you wish which would give an almost invisible mend, but go easy as it's possible to botch it up.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can vouch for this method. I've used it on wood, antler and plastic. You can put an invisible mend onto some substantial cracks with the stuff. I don't wipe off the excess though between treatments. After I have sealed the crack flush and let it dry for 24 hours, I use a craft knife to slice off the mound of excess and then sand. Works a treat.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
It's a great knife, and for $90 US you will find no better value. Alas I paid $190 last year, it has no cracks, but all the same $90 and some superglue sounds like a great deal, sob sob sob :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE