Spring is coming

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
First flocks of Lapwing and Curlew are back on the breeding grounds here. Saw Lapwing and Golden Plover pairs displaying as well. Movements of Skylark and Meadow Pipit overhead.

Walked dogs in daylight morning amd evening as well. Fantastic!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Swans courting on the canal the other day, bleein sparrows and starlings stripping the eves nesting too! ...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've got gales, sleet, snow and hail :rolleyes: and we're trying to replace fencing that blew down in the gales last month…the panels were up agin the gable wall in the (vain !) hope they'd dry out a bit so we could get them painted. Last night there was an almightly thump, and when I went to looksee, the panels had blown over in the wind and have smashed the corner of one of the greenhouse panels :sigh:
Roll on Spring right enough. I've had enough, I want Summer :D

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Saw lots of spring signs today. Then the wind snapped the hinge on the car door. Opened the door not realising the strength of the wind. Door whipped open, over-extended, loud snapping noise. Oh dear. Text to wife to tell her I've broken the car again.

The weekend was going so well until then...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only the Mistle Thrush aka Storm Cock is singing here!

Same here these past few days, but it's come a little better this morning; I know there's plenty of time for a big snap, but it certainly feels as if we're over the brow of the hill now :)

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Lots of "snøklokker" (English: snowdrops) around here, I like it a lot!

640px-Galanthus_nivalis.jpg

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
First flocks of Lapwing and Curlew are back on the breeding grounds here. Saw Lapwing and Golden Plover pairs displaying as well. Movements of Skylark and Meadow Pipit overhead.

Walked dogs in daylight morning amd evening as well. Fantastic!

Talking of Lapwing, I know why they are protected, and why they are the official bird of the RSPB. They are DELICIOUS!!

About 28 years ago I saw a hawk of some type hit and disable a lapwing, when iI got over the lapwing was dead and the hawk (or whatever bird of prey it was) flew off.
I did what I usually do upon finding a 'fresh kill'....I took it, skinned the breast, and cut the breast meat off, then cooked it over an open wood fire.

It was like a cross between very tender beef and chicken, a very dark and rich meat.... no wonder its protected!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In the 1930's when there was widespread unemployment and no NHS or Welfare State, my Dad said he and the other boys collected the peeweeps (lapwings) eggs for food and to sell to those folks who would buy them.
When he talked of it and regretted that there were no lapwings now, that they shouldn't have taken so many of them.
A while later a whole field of them rose up down at Laighlands near here when we were passing by, and the delight on his face is still with me now. Took them fifty years to recover to that though :sigh:

M

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Despite the heavy snow storms earlier, it is now sunny and bright. Primroses, snowdrops, daffodils, and crocus are all out here.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Talking of Lapwing, I know why they are protected, and why they are the official bird of the RSPB. They are DELICIOUS!!

About 28 years ago I saw a hawk of some type hit and disable a lapwing, when iI got over the lapwing was dead and the hawk (or whatever bird of prey it was) flew off.
I did what I usually do upon finding a 'fresh kill'....I took it, skinned the breast, and cut the breast meat off, then cooked it over an open wood fire.

It was like a cross between very tender beef and chicken, a very dark and rich meat.... no wonder its protected!
Their eggs are/were a delicacy too, although the RSPB emblem is an Avocet.

The big problem with peewits is the foxes and crows like eating them and their eggs!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Makes you wonder why no one tried to domesticate them ? Dad said that they'd lay another nest if the first one was herried.

M

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
If their eggs were taken before the 14th April they'll relay.

Not sure why they weren't domesticated, I guess they were so abundant there was no need. Also they'll only lay a few eggs a year and need high protein grub.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you're probably right. When left in peace (relatively so) they'll flock in their thousands, and I know that they were part of the seasonal food gathering, like rooks were.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE