Spring Bush Moot Site.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
At Swyn's very kind invitation I spent Monday night parked up at The Sawmill. By far the best place I have parked up for an overnight, certainly beats layby's or service areas.
After having a wash and cooked my meal I thought I would have a look around the site. It looked a brilliant site and the facilities were very good. However a few things spoiled it.
There were about 4-5 sets of tarp pegs left in the ground ( the home made variety ), There were various piles of firedogs looking like they had just been thrown out of the firedrums. There was a tarp ridge-line left attached to two trees and there was also a pile of sticks left were they had been cut.
There was no mistaking where the Moot had been held, So much for leaving nothing but footprints. I understand the weather had been bad and some people left in a hurry. Funny though, there were no tarps, hammocks, tents or sleeping bags left.
If Swyn and his employer have been good enough to provide you with an excellent site at least leave it as you found it.

One good point, there was no rubbish left.

Rant over now. I would love to spend some time there under a tarp instead of in a wagon cab. Please, look after it.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Very well said. I usually ask someone to look over my site before I leave to make sure I haven't left anything.

It's very easy to overlook stuff like that while you are concentrating on packing other stuff.

Absolutely. I always do a one man walkover the site after packing away and scan meter by meter. It's just good manners.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I often go camping with my family in the new forest and tent pegs are left every where, even on Scout campsites where the culture is a bit different it's not unusual.
If it makes you feel a bit better imagine the person who left the ridge line next time they get their tarp out in the middle of nowhere and have to hang it up using shoe laces

Cheers Roy

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Boatswain,
It's not a case of making me feel better. It's a case of looking after a good site, which I believe The Sawmill is. It is hard enough in todays society to get permission to use a site for a one off camp, let alone on a regular basis.
Abuse it and lose it.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
s0rry I didn't mean to imply that the outrage you feel was misplaced ... it's not and we do all suffer from the actions of the unthinking / uncaring minority. However there is a sort of natural justice and one day these same people will try to erect a tent/tarp in a downpour and won't have the equipment, I feel the same when I see a vandalised telephone box that one day the people who did will need to make that call and their actions come home to roost. The best we can do is leave a place a little bit better than we found it?

Cheers Roy

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
[QUOT/] The best we can do is leave a place a little bit better than we found it?
Cheers Roy[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delay, have been a bit busy lately.
When my lad goes fishing thats exactly what I tell him. Pick any rubbish and bits of line up when you go. The fishery owner may not have checked pitch before he goes on, but may do when he leaves and any rubbish left will be down to him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE