Spotting an official British Army Basha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I'm trying to get an army basha but there seem to be a load of clones about. Can anyone tell me how many official versions there are and how to tell them apart? The thing I'm specifically after is the fact that the sides have fabric running their length which means you can peg it out tight without stressing the tarp material.

As far as I'm aware there's 2 sizes, single and double along with a few different patterns.

Also, from experience, if you use a desert pattern one in the forest will you be lit up like a lighthouse?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a 2000(contract) standard issue basha, you looking for a solid build, the fabic round the seems like you say it will also have handles spaced out down one sides and the middle seem so as to be used as a stretcher, the Nato Stock Number is 8340-99-667-1242, it will have beefy brass eyelets and well taped seems, and it will feel and look solid, hold it and a copy together and you can tell the difference straight away.

I have no experience of the current issue kit, so can't help you regards any kit after 2005. but i'm sure others will be along soon.

Hope this helps.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've got a desert one, its very un-flimsy, heavy brass eyelets on the corners, and grab handles down the middle, and both sides for stretcher use. it has a very thick treatment of silicone type seal along the ridge and edges. it's ok in the woods but a green one would be better, though in areas with a lot of leaf litter it would be fine. good in areas with lots of hay, straw or reeds or in dunes.
its good quality, you should be able to feel the difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE