Sporks are like Marmite

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sporks are next to useless.

I'd usually agree but this one seriously impressed a woman i was hoping to make a nice impression on, it has been the most useful spork i've ever seen

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Nice carving and thanks for the info that nut allergy also applies to the wood, I wasn't aware of that.

There have not been any official studies on it but this is what NJAES said(New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station) which was the only info i could find when researching the relation between certain woods and nut allergies

Walnut wood and several other woods have small amounts of juglone, but much lower amounts than other plant parts, for example nuts, bark, and roots. The potential for toxicity should be minimal in cutting boards, which are dried. Juglone is not very soluble in water, so I would not expect it to come out of cutting boards and into food very easily. I would think that the concern for toxicity from this source would be minimal, but again, we have not done any direct research and I am not aware of any specifically on this topic. However, if you are cutting the wood and there is sawdust, then protection from the sawdust is in order.

So i figured as the spork will be in the mouth caution is probably the best approach, I was very surprised to find there has been no official research done by the likes of the FSA and USFDA into this subject being that food allergies seem to be a major concern these days in academic circles.

Last edited:

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
I like sporks....there I've said it! :eek:

Just to be clear though, a knife element should definitely not be part of one and I prefer the fork at one end, spoon at t'other approach. Probably not considered a true spork but hey ho, works for me. The one at the far right of this old picture was carved from a neighbour's felled cherry tree:

5616210628_21e1c457c4.jpg

GGTBod, I applaud your work. That is indeed a lovely piece of wood and very well made spork.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I wanted to make a double ender just for the extra carving work involved but my lady friend requested what she referred to as a traditional spork

This diagram may help those confused by cutlery crossbreeds

052509_cutlery_1.jpg

Attachments

• 052509_cutlery_1.jpg
    052509_cutlery_1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
You are using the wrong ones, then.

I grew up with the original sporks - by splayd. They were proper stainless dining cutlery. A 'spork' should NEVER include a knife blade.

I did have a titanium modern spork, it was an ok spook and an ok fork. An excellent eating tool for stew, risotto and curry.
Not a good eating implement for bacon, steak etc.

Sadly, my only encounters with these things has been the ghastly plastic ones. Looking at the word 'spork', it is obviously a cross-breed of a fork and a spoon; why, then, do the current manufacturers who currently produce these things include that ludicrous little serrated thing on one of the outside tines of the 'fork' element? Remove that, make the handle longer, stick the forky bit on the end of the spoon - much like the beautifully carved piece on the original post, change the material out of which it is currently made (stainless steel or titanium, if you must...) and you might - I use the word advisedly - might have something useful.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sadly currently no lover in my life to give one too

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
if i find love i'll knock one up in an afternoon inspired by her feminine magic

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We still use splayds. Pretty much daily too. Great for salads and things like chilli or stew. Worth buying if you can find a set going reasonable.

I like your carvings, both of you, GGTBod and Nativewood :D

I have a titanium spork that's actually a decent bowl shape as well as a forked end. It's a fairly decent camping one-tool-to-do-it all :approve: but I have a couple of Lexan ones that are just the wrong shape though; I catch my mouth on a sharp bit every time :sigh:

Cheap and nasty sporks are disposable picnic cutlery.

Marmite? ah now, daily fix of salty, tasty, black vitamin rich stuff :D

M

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Had enough of feminine magic to do me a lifetime. I'll see how things go after I'm deid.....

Only kidding and thank you, Toddy. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bit of a footer with pea and ham :) or chicken and rice, or oxtail though…..and mulligatawny could be an incredible slitter.

M

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Right then, going to carve some chopsticks when I get my tools from the house. Hope I don't get too carried away and end up with toothpicks! A mate used to say that I was an expert carver.....nobody else he knew could make a single matchstick from an entire log. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE