Sporks are like Marmite

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
A lady friend of mine recently found out i like carving wood and asked if i could make her a spork, being the gentleman i am i couldn't refuse but warned her i'd never made one before, she has a nut allergy so i couldn't use my favourite walnut wood, instead I used a piece of African Zebrano i had kicking about, due to the nut allergy it is sealed with olive oil and beeswax mix

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice wood - great carving ... it is a pity the bowl got broken...
Sporks are nothing like Marmite... I like Marmite :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I had a feeling the spork would not be on your wish list John, at least it is not pink eh?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yup i'm not a spork fan either, certainly won't be making myself one, the zebrano wood is lovely to finish but a PIA to carve due to the grain there is constant lifting of huge chunks at the slightest off angle of the blade

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Nothing wrong with a good Spork if it is carved right, I have carved two now and both times I have found out more about cuts and techniques and how many people actually dislike them. Nice Spork by the way.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Beautiful wood and superb carving: it's an insult to both - and Marmite - to compare them with sporks. Sporks are next to useless - flimsy material, poor design (far too short, pointless 'knife' feature and 'fork' facility...) but they enjoy an unjustified ubiquity. Such is my dislike for these things that a friend gave me a pink one after our trip to Greenland. Occasionally - very occasionally - I get it out and look at it just to remind myself how poor sporks are as a concept and a reality.

Great carving and Marmite are essentials in life; the sooner we abandon sporks and our ludicrous enthusiasm for them, the better. Hah!

I'll get off the fence now...

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Beautiful wood and superb carving: it's an insult to both - and Marmite - to compare them with sporks. Sporks are next to useless - flimsy material, poor design (far too short, pointless 'knife' feature and 'fork' facility...) but th.

You are using the wrong ones, then.

I grew up with the original sporks - by splayd. They were proper stainless dining cutlery. A 'spork' should NEVER include a knife blade.

I did have a titanium modern spork, it was an ok spook and an ok fork. An excellent eating tool for stew, risotto and curry.
Not a good eating implement for bacon, steak etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE