Spoons turned on a pole lathe

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Managed to have a play on the pole lathe again recently, as I need to get some practice in. Ive been trying to concentrate on simple items and particularly the difficult stages like curved ends that normally make me swear a lot.

S5000450.jpg

Lots more pictures including the making here http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/spoons-turned-on-pole-lathe.html if you fancy a look-see.

After these items I just spent an Hour and a half trying out the tools in different ways on a test piece. It looked like a weird sculpture at the end, or at least it looked like posh kindling when it started the fire last night :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Verrry nice. I've turned a bit of laburnam to make a pair of decorative spoons, but they aren't finished yet, and when they are, they won't be as nice as those.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Laburnum looks very nice when finished, I've just scored a piece to play with. Thanks for the comment.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Did you use the split turning method involving a sheet of newspaper glued between two pieces of wood?
If not it is worth a try.
The wood holds together really well for turning then seperates very easily with a blunt chisel.
Anyway, nice work, thanks for showing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh very good :approve: I like those :cool: Pole lathes are great fun but few can make practical things with them :)

Skate, I wondered how that was done; I have a loom, a sewing box, a lazy kate, etc., that have all sort of pieces that look as though they were turned and then split, but how much more simple to turn two together and then seperate :D

cheers,
Toddy

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I must admit to never having done it on a pole lathe only an electric one but don't see why it shouldn't work. It can also be done with 4 pieces which are then inverted and turned again making lovely hollow forms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE