Spoons in Iraq (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Here's a selection of what I've managed to carve while in Iraq. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_5532.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

Pine

IMG_5515.jpg

Eucalyptus

IMG_5516.jpg

Eucalyptus spork (my first!)

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

Not entirely sure what wood this is. It's pretty light and porous.

IMG_5520.jpg

Pine root, has a richer yellow colour to it.

IMG_5522.jpg

Eucalyptus

IMG_5523.jpg

I like the end of the handle on this one. The bowl is a little elongated however.

IMG_5524.jpg

Eucalyptus

IMG_5529.jpg

Pine Kuksa

IMG_5530.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the shape of this, except the front of this began to split. After soaking it in coffee I think I let it dry too quick. I had it in a plastic bag covered in wood-chips but I think desert conditions warrant a slightly different approach!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ummm shouldn't you be like shooting people, not busy carving? LOL!

Seriously though I really like that batch, the end of the handle on the one you mentioned particularly. I think you may have invented a whole new genre of carving with that spork. I bet even John Fenna (founder and president of the "I hate sporks" society) will have a crack at doing one of those.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Erm, since I'm teaching English to kids here, shooting them is generally frowned upon (not that it hasn't crossed my mind).

Ah yes that would sorta mess the day up wouldn't it. Just assumed you were in the army or something.

My best mate's a teacher at college level (16-19) in the UK. He feels the same way about his students sometimes, but shooting them through the head might not make much of a difference, there's little chance of hitting a vital organ if he did.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ummm shouldn't you be like shooting people, not busy carving? LOL!

Seriously though I really like that batch, the end of the handle on the one you mentioned particularly. I think you may have invented a whole new genre of carving with that spork. I bet even John Fenna (founder and president of the "I hate sporks" society) will have a crack at doing one of those.
I only hate plastic or Ti Sporks - I have carved a couple of double ended Sporks out of Oak and ...something else...
I prefer double enders to "spike your mouth while eating soup" Sporks as the only injury you will get is a fistful of whatever you were last eating with the other end...
Sporkandfoon.jpg

nowt wrong with a carved Spork!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ah yes that would sorta mess the day up wouldn't it. Just assumed you were in the army or something.

My best mate's a teacher at college level (16-19) in the UK. He feels the same way about his students sometimes, but shooting them through the head might not make much of a difference, there's little chance of hitting a vital organ if he did.

Many "pupils" need a brain, like a hole in the head !............say what you like Biker & to hell with PC.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Thanks for the kind words!

@lune, I carved the kuksa in a day, not entirely how long I was at it for, several hours I think.

@Paul, this was the first time I've used eucalyptus, this one was quite a dense wood which split fairly easily. Interestingly the wood in this species seems to have a gluey smell to it. Mind you there are (I think) about 700 species of eucalyptus, so I'm sure the qualities vary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE