Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
just taking the liberty of a bit more cross linking :oops:
331022-spoon.jpg

cheers, and.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
On the knifeforums page, you said that it was made of boxwood, hard like olive wood. Yeah I agree that boxwood is hard (making a spoon out o it at the mo) but olive is no way as hard. It smells gorgeous though!

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Hoodoo,

I like your carving tool. Have you got a name or url for them please. I've looked at getting a spoon knife but at £40 I think its a little steep.

The spoon looks lovely.

Simon

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Unfortunatly not, its shipped. I'll have to find another way. Saying that I have the tip of a wood gouge like woodturners use, I'm wondering if I make a handle for it whether that would suffice.

Simon

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I just thought I would post a pic of my latest spoon that I have finished

images.php

images.php

It's made from a piece of boxwood, and even though it's only 12cm long, it's taken me about 6 months to chip it out. :-?

I did most of the outside shaping using a spokeshave to speed things up, but the inside was done with a couple of spoon knives and a couple of gouges. The lanyard hole was done with a power drill, but that was more of an excuse to use a xmas present.

I've got the other half of the billet to shape now, althogh I think I may leave that one a while! :)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm not sure. I think it'll probably be another spoon, but shallower. A fork is a nice idea but I think it would be a bit small for that.

It's on hold for the moment though as it's hard stuff to work and I have some other bits on the go. (plus of course, real work to do!)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm not sure what the bit I have is as I bought it for woodturning (was going to be a box originally) at least 6 years ago, not chopped from a tree myself.

It's probably Buxus sempervirens. I'm pretty certain that it's Buxus, but the latter part is a guess. Sempirvirens has a few types too, including English and Tree Boxwood.

EDIT

Actually I don't know now after having a search on the net.
I found this list:
Boxelder (Acer negundo)
Boxwood (Cornus florida)
Boxwood, Cape (Gonioma kamassi)
Boxwood, Hickory (Planchonella euphlebia)
Boxwood, Kamassi (Gonioma kamassi)
Boxwood, Knysna (Gonioma kamassi)
Boxwood, Maracaibo (Gossypiospermum praecox)
Boxwood, New Guinea (Xanthophyllum papuanum)
Boxwood, Northern yellow (Planchonella euphlebia)
Boxwood, San Domingo (Phyllostylon brasiliensis)
Boxwood, Venezuelan (Gossypiospermum praecox)
Boxwood, West Indian (Gossypiospermum praecox)

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo said:
Do you happen to know the scientific name for Boxwood? Around here, Box Elder is sometimes called Boxwood.
The Boxwood we typically see as an ornamental shrub is Buxus. B. sempervirens (Weller boxwood) is one variety you'll see in nurseries, as is B. microphylla asiatic (Winter Gem Boxwood).

Stew, Cornus Florida is a Flowering Dogwood tree. They grow like weeds in many parts of the US. It's quite a sight to see mile after mile of white flowers during springtime when the dogwoods in the Smoky Mountains are blooming. :cool: :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE