Spoon I nicked from Mesquite

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I've seen this one on the Axminster site Lindz, do you reckon it'll be up to much for £15 ?

I have access to both these sets at work, and the little pen thing is nowhere near as powerful or versatile as the one Lindsey uses but it would give you a taste of what you can do though.

And I should have said this is beautiful work, Lindsey. I have tried and failed spectacularly to produce anything much!!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I did that box I did with one of them pens. They are actually fairly good whack, but they do not have heat control and you cannot hold it like a pen, plus the handle gets hot with use and it takes a while to heat up. You can do the knotwork with it but a portrait is beyond its powers. Its got the lining conistency of a felt tip pen rather than a fine liner like the one I bought

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Hmm... I think that's actually the same one that I have, or at least an extremely similar design. It does take a while to heat up, no heat control and the handle gets really hot like you said. I've wondered how people could do those amazing designs with something like that and then I realized that it was because the pens that the pros use are way better than that one. It doesn't help that I lost all the extra tips that came with it either, but I guess it's fine to try it out with that one instead of spending a ton on the best ones and then finding out you don't like it.

By the way, I hear this one's really good: The Razertip woodburning pen, it's one of those but they come with fixed tips or interchangable ones. Expensive but good, so I hear anyway because I wasn't into it enough to spend that kind of money. (no connection with them or anything but I was referred to their site by a woman selling art that she made with that pen at a festival, she even wrote it down with the pen on a little wooden business card type thing)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I did this with the cheap pen,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/firecrest22/knotbox4.jpg
and I lost the nibs to, its just a matter of precision and patience. Its harder but it can be done, The pen must be moved at a steady speed, think of it as an aeroplane when landing and taking off as it has to be glided in and out in order not to leave blob marks. I held the box on a lower platform then the surface I had my wrist the pen on for support. usually I had my arm on the desk and the box on my knee.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just had a thought, I took a blow torch to my Ti mug to write my name on it. How fine do you think the burny pen thing would work on Titanium ? Kind of kewl having knotwork around it to personalise it :D

I've got a really old set somewhere, need to have a look for it sometime.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
can it burn titanium? Ive no idea! If you put it on the top setting though where it glows a bright yellow it becomes to soft to really work properly and it bends all over the place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE