Spoon Carving kit (probably better suited to Sharps board..)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I'm looking at starting to play with spoon carving after reading about the recent course review on here and watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2DN46lrqk

Currently i only posses a Mora Clipper and can't see that being much use for carving. I'm after some pointers as I'm hitting a brick wall in my head as to which way to go.

Axe wise, I'm eyeing up the Husqvarna Hatchet as it seems reasonably priced (£22) that being said I can't stop myself wanting to go for the Gransfors SFA but i know that won't do me many favours for carving, it's more a case of I WANT ONE syndrome.

Spoon/Carving Knife wise I'm hitting a real problem, for my sins I'm a lefty and i can't for the life of me find a left handed, round tipped, single sided spoon knife.....only reason I'm looking at single sided/round tipped is from the advice given in the video about it allowing more flexibility of force when carving.

Anyone out there a lefty spoon carver and can point me to some kit?

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I'm one of the elite (left handed). Ben Orford makes left handed crook knives. I have one and am very pleased with it. His videos on Youtube are very informative as well.
Whoops, didn't check your link :eek:

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
nothing wrong with the Clipper for spoon carving, i use a Clipper and Mora 510/511 all of the time, there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever, you might want to add a finer tipped knife too, something like the Mora Basic Wood Carving knife, it costs a tenner and is a superb tool, i now use this more than some of my Orfords, as far as left handed spoon knives go, Ben Orford does his entire range in both left and right hand and there are a number of other makers out there who will do one, drop Dave Budd a line and see if he can help.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
My wood carving knife started life as a broken chefs knife. at the time I was short of cash but rich in time (between jobs) so I had to make do. the handle was lovely to hold but the blade was way too big so after serous reducing and shaping I had a wood carver. I have since bought a wood carving knife but keep going back to my home made one. I think its because it's what I'm used to. I dont think it matters so much what knife you use it is more of what you feel most comfortable using and gives you the best results

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE