Spontaneous Combustion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I was using some Teak Oil today. The label says to be careful about disposal of the cloth as it may be prone to spontaneous combustion.

This begs several questions:-

How is this possible?

Could I make it do it?

Has anyone experienced this?

Are there natural products that could do this?

Could this concept be used for fire starting?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
rich59 said:
I was using some Teak Oil today. The label says to be careful about disposal of the cloth as it may be prone to spontaneous combustion.

This begs several questions:-

How is this possible?

Could I make it do it?

Has anyone experienced this?

Are there natural products that could do this?

Could this concept be used for fire starting?

Rich,
From what little I remember, linseed is reknowned for this - though to be reliable, it has to be about a pint of oil, soaked into a large wad of cotton wool and left alone for many hours in an insulated container.
Lofty Wiseman mentions something about it in his SAS survival book. Personally, I'd rather carry less weight into the bush to get a fire going but if you were to stumble across cotton wool and linseed oil next to a pile of wood and nothing else, it might be worth a try ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I don't know about "natural" products being used for this Rich, but I do know one easy and certain way of making fire with simple chemicals.
Add glycerol (also sold as glycerine) to a small heap of potassium permangenate crystals and stand well back. The last time I demonstrated this I chose to put the mix on top of an upturned tin can. The initial reaction and fire were visible, but the immense heat meant that it soon all disapeared from view as it melted through the can and fell in. The reaction takes a few seconds to get going, but as a fire starter it's very effective but relatively short-lived.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Longstrider said:
I don't know about "natural" products being used for this Rich, but I do know one easy and certain way of making fire with simple chemicals.
Add glycerol (also sold as glycerine) to a small heap of potassium permangenate crystals and stand well back. The last time I demonstrated this I chose to put the mix on top of an upturned tin can. The initial reaction and fire were visible, but the immense heat meant that it soon all disapeared from view as it melted through the can and fell in. The reaction takes a few seconds to get going, but as a fire starter it's very effective but relatively short-lived.
Desktop.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Jeff, Surely the more obvious methods that "fit in your pocket" actually involve fire by friction rather than spontaneous combustion. Lighters with a flint, matches, and even your trusty fire piston all involve friction. OK, so lighters with a piezo electric ignition system dont use friction per-say, but it's hardly spontaneous.
Not sure I'd be happy carrying anything in my pocket that was likely to spontaneously combust. Hell, I even went off Swan Vestas after seeing a mate fall from a tree with a box of them in his back pocket. We all ran to see if he was OK, and he passed us at twice our speed going towards the stream with his backside on fire !

Spontaneous combustion def - A process by which a collection of materials (such as oily rags) catches fire without the application of heat from outside. The oxidation of substances in the materials starts the fire.

Forgive me Longstrider, however ignition in a fire piston is not caused by friction per se. It is caused by compression of the air molecules, which causes a pulse point at which the air temperature is raised to the ignition point. I suppose one could make a case that it is friction between the molecules. By definition, spontaneous combustion involves "combustion without an external application of heat". Therefore I submit that a fire piston demonstrates a pressure induced form of spontaneous combustion.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Yes, I was referring to the molecular friction of the air as it's compressed. As I see it, "spontaneous" leads me to think of a process which involves not only the absence of added heat but the absence of added energy too. The chemical burn I told of happens if the two materials simply come into contact with one another, the fire piston needs the application of a good amount of kinetic energy before the air can become sufficiently compressed.
Hell, why split hairs over it? Both methods are fun! ;)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Cotton wool or rags soaked in linseed oil work very well in a fire piston, since they require very little heat increase to set off the reaction :D

match said:
Cotton wool or rags soaked in linseed oil work very well in a fire piston, since they require very little heat increase to set off the reaction :D

OH...I'd be cautious with that one as its getting very close to a combustible fuel with a handheld diesel cylinder. I once had a fellow complain that he blew up his nice new fire piston by putting cut match heads inside.... just to see what might happen. I think he was very fortunate to retain the use of all digits.... :eek:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Damp straw definately works well....as Dave Watson (Firelighting workshop) found out at last years Wilderness Gathering when the roofrack on his landy went up.... :yikes:

Luckily Dave was quick to put it out and no harm was done but we were all impressed at how good his firelighting was....he only had to look at things and they burst into flames! lol :D

Whether you could reliably recreate this at will I do not know but it certainly happens :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I vaguely remember reading that the jurassic coal from the mine at Brora had sulphur or pyrite or something in it, and would sometimes self ignite. I've not verified the accuracy of this.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I once had a safety match spontaneously combust on me when pounding it in a tube with a piston :D

I think in real life 'spontaneous' implies there is no human influence at the time of ignition, i.e. a chemical reaction. It is fairly common to consider the friction of air molecules on each other.

Potassium permanganate and glucose spontaneously combust...it's a good way to light rockets on a timed fuse...

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
As a painter I know that linseed oil in a cotton towel can combust and burn down your studio and house. Oil painters often suffer this problem, so we are tought to dump the cotton towels into a bowl with water and not keeping them laying around in the studio. I heard from several artist that suddenly they had a fire in the studio starting all from itself by combustion.

cheers
Abbe

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Jeff Wagner said:
Like wet hay in a barn

Exactly what I was going to say, there have been numerous incedents of wet hay spontaniously combusting in barns.

As for linseed oil isn't it the raw stuff that does it and not the boiled stuff?

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
In our woodshop, we are carefull to hang out our stain rags and dry them before discarding them. I have seen rags sponeously combust, more than once, from people being careless with rags used to finish furniture.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
As an experiment I have made some rolls of cloth wetted with raw linseed oil and have them upright in my garden. After a few hours they seem pretty cold. I think I haven't got the hang of how to make this work yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE